verona

Total Posts: 1,379
I'm getting this for a few quid more.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/p...foxsat-hdr.asp
29-12-2010, 16:45   #22
esme
raddled old hag

Total Posts: 38,974
I can recommend freeview, and if you really want a subscription service then there aren't any adverts on love film I'm currently working my way through "Fringe" on love film, the turnaround is excellent, you get the odd damaged dvd but they have happily swapped these every time I've had one

or if you have a decent broadband line there's the BT vision thing, I've no idea what that's like in practice though
_______
A persons worth is not decided by the colour of their skin, religion, sexual orientation, gender or ability.
It is decided by their words, deeds and how they treat their fellow human beings.
There are other forums if this gives you a problem.
29-12-2010, 18:25   #23
Panther Rose

Total Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona View Post
Just wondered if anyone else has done it and how they found it?

I'm just fed up of paying out each month for the same old stuff. It's just repeat after repeat. Sky News is about the best thing but even that gets repetative.
I have Sky+ and I contacted them yesterday to also cancel my subscription. They then offered me a 6 months deal where I'd get the same channels that I have now for only 12:50. They said if I changed to receiving the free channels, I won't be able to use the recording facilities and the programmes that I have currently recorded, I won't be able to watch. So, I'm busy watching all these programmes and will cancel my subscription with Sky tomorrow. Saving myself 30 a month.
29-12-2010, 18:26   #24
VAN ZANDT

Total Posts: 26
Once you've sampled hd tv nothing else compares
29-12-2010, 18:30   #25
Tipex

Total Posts: 5,604
Quote:
Just wondered if anyone else has done it and how they found it?

I'm just fed up of paying out each month for the same old stuff. It's just repeat after repeat. Sky News is about the best thing but even that gets repetative.

I don't watch sport and if I want a movie I'll go and rent one.

I think I'm going to go back to 5 channels.
It would be ok if they came out with some new british comedy, dramas, reality tv, ect. Sky/virgin just put the same old crap on, and to be honest, most tv today isn't thought out as it should be.
_______
I love the ladies, and the ladies love me.

Plenty of haters out there. But then as Churchill said, "You have enemies? Good! Means you stood for something.
29-12-2010, 20:30   #26
Mrs Overall

Total Posts: 1,775
Is the freesat box as good as described?..can you use it like the Sky hd box?..ie, record rewind pause etc...it gets a bit complicated for an oldie, but im getting fed up of paying for a lot of rubbish..
22-01-2011, 23:26   #27
I1L2T3

Total Posts: 7,744
Just cancelled my Sky. Sky TV not very helpful - best they could offer was a new dish and box with no reduction on the bill, just 3 months free ESPN added. Other bugbear was we can't get cheap Sky broadband in our area and the cheapest they could do was 17 a month.

Bought a Humax Freesat HD box. Unplugged the sky box then plugged the new one straight in. Gets about 140 channels in Freesat mode but you can also scan the Astra satellite in non-Freesat mode for other free to air channels. That picks up another couple of hundred channels most of which is a bit niche (unless you're an avid TV shopper or like christian or muslim channels) but there are a few real gems in there.

Wish I'd done it ages ago. 44 a month saved for me and nearly 600 less a year for Murdoch. When I spoke to the lass at Sky it was heartening to hear they are absolutely snowed under with cancellation requests.
Sponsored Links
23-01-2011, 00:45   #28
Xt500

Total Posts: 2,255
i too shall be cancelling sky if its not adverts rammed down your throat every 5 minutes,its repeating in programs.You watch the first bit 5 or 10 mins before the adverts then in part 2 they repeat what you have already seen in part 1,if you were to put a timer on a hours programming i bet its not much more than 20 mins unrepeated tv thats if you can find something you havnt seen umpteen times already
Even the record series starts to repeat itself........
23-01-2011, 00:55   #29
Rupert_Baehr

Total Posts: 10,131
Quote:
I'm getting this for a few quid more.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/p...foxsat-hdr.asp
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedan View Post
Is the freesat box as good as described?..can you use it like the Sky hd box?..ie, record rewind pause etc...it gets a bit complicated for an oldie, but im getting fed up of paying for a lot of rubbish..
If the Freesat box you're talking about is the one in Verona's post, it's well worth having. I've been using one for 4 months and it works very well.

I had a Sky Plus box some years ago and it's nowhere near as good as the Humax.

If you record a lot of HDTV (and if you keep the recordings) the HDD will fill up fairy quickly, but provided you keep an eye on it and erase stuff when you've viewed it (or copy things you want to keep to an External USB HDD) you shouldn't have any problems.

The box is fairly easy to use and if all else fails and you're forced to refer to the manual, that too is pretty straightforward.
23-01-2011, 01:48   #30
danny11

Total Posts: 1,112
Forget TV and go out and meet real people
23-01-2011, 08:35   #31
upinwath
Fluffy Bunny

Total Posts: 7,155
Don't cancel.
Tell them you're going to, get a few months free then stop it.
23-01-2011, 08:59   #32
jennycakes

Total Posts: 2,166
i have a question before Christmas we had all movies package,added them on line,and now want to cancel all movies,and cant do it online,can we?
been with them 14 months now and want to cancel the movies
23-01-2011, 12:43   #33
I1L2T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinwath View Post
Don't cancel.
Tell them you're going to, get a few months free then stop it.
Certainly worth a go but they didn't offer that to me. From what I read on other forums they don't automatically offer free months so beware.
23-01-2011, 12:46   #34
I1L2T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennycakes View Post
i have a question before Christmas we had all movies package,added them on line,and now want to cancel all movies,and cant do it online,can we?
been with them 14 months now and want to cancel the movies
Yes you can cancel them. Just ring up and they will take them off or as upinwath says may (if the wind is blowing in the right direction) offer them discounted or free for a time.
23-01-2011, 12:53   #35
auto98uk
Lost the Game

Total Posts: 10,836
PS3 has BBC iPlayer, ITV catch-up and 4OD

I only mention it because i hadn't updated my box in 6 months and there was only iplayer on it last time i looked, did it yesterday (to watch peep show box set ) and itv and c4 have been added
23-01-2011, 13:11   #36
I1L2T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto98uk View Post
PS3 has BBC iPlayer, ITV catch-up and 4OD

I only mention it because i hadn't updated my box in 6 months and there was only iplayer on it last time i looked, did it yesterday (to watch peep show box set ) and itv and c4 have been added
Just reminded me that Humax Freesat box has iPlayer with ITV catch-up on the way. Just plug a network cable in the back of the box. Channel 901 for iPlayer, 903 for ITV player. Can't find a 4OD channel on there yet.
24-01-2011, 13:53   #37
swfcowls

Total Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny11 View Post
Forget TV and go out and meet real people

No, don't recommend that as you might bump into this muppet
31-01-2011, 10:16   #38
walkertelecoms

Total Posts: 1,682
That's for a full install too though don't forget, the guy above already has the dish, just needs a box. You can get a basic FSat box for about thirty squids! That'll do the same thing.
_______
Telephone Line & Data Engineer Sheffield & South Yorkshire
Line Extensions, Relocations, Repairs, Broadband, FreeSat & Sky Magic Eye, Data.
Tel: 07854 321024

www.walkertelecoms.com
31-01-2011, 10:40   #39
Berberis

Total Posts: 8,485
but .. but ... Boardwalk Empire is coming to Sky Atlantic !
31-01-2011, 10:51   #40
Rupert_Baehr

Total Posts: 10,131
It's been on UseNext for ages.
Reply To Topic