Ecclesfield 'village'

cheers for info but think nigels nailed it.

your welcome, but nigel has been around a bit longer than me. at 51 im not quite a village elder yet. :):) interesting village history though.

theres a few hanwells that live in the village, although i dont know of them being related to the councillor

your welcome, but nigel has been around a bit longer than me. at 51 im not quite a village elder yet. :):) interesting village history though.

That made me smile. I wouldn't class myself as a village elder either. What I know comes from a genuine interest in Ecclesfield. I know a lot of trivia too. One being the first programme shown at the old Ecclesfield Cinema House. I have had a look back at recent postings. Regarding Rollem's. I was told last week by a Rollem employee that the firm is moving to Hoyland. The present site will become a Distribution Centre for either Aldi or Lidl. This, it seems, will cover the old garage site too. It seems rather small to me for that purpose, and will make the traffic problem even more worse than it is (if that is possible). The old part of the Rollem building was the old Ecclesfield Flour Mill. I always thought that was a listed building which could not be demolished. I could be wrong on that. I know that the person who founded Rollem was named Mellor (spell it backwards).

That made me smile. I wouldn't class myself as a village elder either. What I know comes from a genuine interest in Ecclesfield. I know a lot of trivia too. One being the first programme shown at the old Ecclesfield Cinema House. I have had a look back at recent postings. Regarding Rollem's. I was told last week by a Rollem employee that the firm is moving to Hoyland. The present site will become a Distribution Centre for either Aldi or Lidl. This, it seems, will cover the old garage site too. It seems rather small to me for that purpose, and will make the traffic problem even more worse than it is (if that is possible). The old part of the Rollem building was the old Ecclesfield Flour Mill. I always thought that was a listed building which could not be demolished. I could be wrong on that. I know that the person who founded Rollem was named Mellor (spell it backwards).
obviously the sheffield planning department dont give 2 hoots about the residents & existing traffic problems around the area, iv also been told its gonna be aldi or lidl, as if the area needs anymore shops, theres already enough, the traffic issues are just gonna add to the areas ever increasing traffic congestion, its bad enough off peak at times but peak times, are horrendous as it is without a needless junk shop

I remember my dad telling me where the rollem name came from. i would be interested to know the name of the first program at the picture palace as my grandmother worked there for a number or years. I must agree with the worries about traffic getting worse ( if it can ) if another supermarket is built.

theres a few hanwells that live in the village, although i dont know of them being related to the councillor

Harry Hanwells daughter Jo used to work at Paper shop on High Street ...........

Harry Hanwells daughter Jo used to work at Paper shop on High Street ...........
eyup lynblu, did jo wear glasses? left there about 5yr ago?

I was wondering if anybody can remember my grand parants,it would be great if you have any memories to share with me.

My grand mother and father (on moms side) were Madge and Arthur Gill,who worked as a pair at both Wordsworth Tavern,and Fighting **** pubs at one time or another.And also a club in Wortley,while theire house was been "done up" due to subsidence.

My grand father (Dads side) Ernest Bennett was drummer with Ecclesfield Silver Prize Band,and i inherited his snare drum,which was quite unique as it was pigskin cover.

Does anybody have any memories to share??

I used to love the little walkway that went from the High Street down into the Park. It was like a secret passage or something from Enid Blyton

Still there as far as i know,runs from just above the chippy.

Do you remember the fishing tackle shop just below chippy?

I was wondering if anybody can remember my grand parants,it would be great if you have any memories to share with me.

My grand mother and father (on moms side) were Madge and Arthur Gill,who worked as a pair at both Wordsworth Tavern,and Fighting **** pubs at one time or another.And also a club in Wortley,while theire house was been "done up" due to subsidence.

My grand father (Dads side) Ernest Bennett was drummer with Ecclesfield Silver Prize Band,and i inherited his snare drum,which was quite unique as it was pigskin cover.

Does anybody have any memories to share??

i think you'd be better off chatting to nigel womersley regarding the silver prize band, i believe he knows most of the members

eyup lynblu, did jo wear glasses? left there about 5yr ago?

Jo didn't wear glasses, was tall n slim, really short mousy brown hair.

Still there as far as i know,runs from just above the chippy.

Do you remember the fishing tackle shop just below chippy?

When i was a young 'un growing up in St marys lane , i remember the chippy as jones's , although the building was originally a stable , and when it did become a chippy ,it was my great grandma Sarah Whitham who opened it ( on the first night it took 1/ 11d selling 46bags of chips at 1/2d a bag , my mother told me this !! )

i also remember the garage in the lane owned by les hobson , and the fishing tackle shop was run by George Watkinson , i used to go in Sinclairs cafe across from the Black Bull ,