Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Alcohol purchasing Think 21 will soon be Think 25.

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-05-2009, 11:56   #21
Rich
DS,Xbox360 gamer
Rich's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: S3 Netherthorpe (Stannington on weekends)
Total Posts: 29,497
Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
but this is not the states this is europe if anything we should be more like france rather than america
Yeah but the British Government aren't up France's backside, they are however, so far up America's arse they have to seek permission to use the karzy!
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 12:04   #22
olorin
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Total Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1 View Post
They have to ask for assistance if they're not old enough and they have to do this by law so there will be no need to insist that they drag out management as you say. Read my above post that you've already quoted..
I have...

I have to be old enough by law to buy alcohol, so by your argument they shoudl have no need to insist that I produce ID...

Yet they do.
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 12:07   #23
splodgeyAl
Registered User
splodgeyAl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Total Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1 View Post
They're not allowed to be..
And nobody is allowed to buy age restricted items under that age - not being allowed doesn't stop some people from trying.

Hard as it is to believe, but managers are also human, and therefore not immune from this desire and indeed ability to do things that they are not allowed to do.

Olorin is suggesting, and I agree, that while we are being asked to prove that we are allowed to make a purchase, that we should also ask the retailer's representative to prove that they are allowed to take part in the transaction.

Hope that makes it clearer
_______
This cookie is used to record if a user has accepted the use of cookies
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 12:13   #24
pem123
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Total Posts: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1 View Post
They're not allowed to be..
I'll get me coat
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 12:23   #25
sarah1
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Kimberworth
Total Posts: 2,290
I have to be really careful about what I put on here as I know that people from my work monitor this site so I can't go into alot of detail..
But, where I work, there really shouldn't be any need to ask the cashier for ID..
Believe it or not, I can see where you're all coming from.. I can understand that it can be annoying being asked for ID, but please remember, its NOT the cashiers fault..
I'm going to have to leave this there..

Can you now understand why I have what I have in my sig ??..
_______
Before you ask for anything more, be sure to realise what you already have..
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 12:29   #26
boutiquechoc
loony tunes
 
Joined: May 2007
Total Posts: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Matt] View Post
Just giving you all a heads up since I've seen a few threads on the subject that those stores that operate the governments 'Think 2'1 policy when selling alcohol and cigarettes will from the 25th of may change that to 'Think 25' on ALL age restricted goods. Basically if you're in your mid twenties or maybe early thirties even then expect to be refused alcohol regularly if you don't have ID.
So it should be, if the majority of younger people can't handle drink, (and yes a lot of adults can't either), it should only be 25 yrs and up allowed to buy it.

I also think the driving age should be upto 21!!
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 13:41   #27
chem1st
Registered User
chem1st's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: in't lab
Total Posts: 16,344
Upping age limits etc is not always beneficial. If you ask me its a little naive to think it is a quick fix to a lifestyle problem which has been with us for centuries (drinking lots of alcohol).

I object to being forced to carry ID. In 5 years time it will be think 30!

Or even more likely, is 'don't think, do as instructed'
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
13-05-2009, 13:46   #28
olorin
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Total Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1 View Post
I have to be really careful about what I put on here as I know that people from my work monitor this site so I can't go into alot of detail..
But, where I work, there really shouldn't be any need to ask the cashier for ID..
Believe it or not, I can see where you're all coming from.. I can understand that it can be annoying being asked for ID, but please remember, its NOT the cashiers fault..
I'm going to have to leave this there..

Can you now understand why I have what I have in my sig ??..
And please remember that I'm not having a go at the cahsier, so please stop building that strawman
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 14:50   #29
prettygood
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 385
This whole ID mania of the past few years has gone way too far. Here's a recent article from the Register about ASDA and Tesco now asking people for ID to buy teaspoons. Teaspoons!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/asda_teaspoons/

Things aren't going to change until more people start either bursting into laughter when asked for ID or just leaving all of their shopping on the conveyor belt and walking out of the store. Alternatively, if you think that Think 21 and Think 25 are a bit ridiculous, start shopping at off licences that don't do it instead of supermarkets that do. Think 21 and Think 25 are only guidelines that supermarkets choose to follow, not actual laws. There's nothing illegal about selling a 19 year-old or 22 year-old alcohol without asking them for ID first.
_______
Annoyed by the station footbridge closure? Why not boycott all of the station shops and cafes?
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 14:56   #30
Pidgeon
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Total Posts: 882
Tesco are raising theirs to 25 because they were convicted of selling to underaged in Blackpool. Apparently the council there relentless pursued Tesco with endless sting operations till they finally got one.


As a shop worker, how are you spose to tell if someone is under a certain age?

Only was is to make it compulory to have ID to buy controlled items like Cigs, knives and booze.
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 18:56   #31
splodgeyAl
Registered User
splodgeyAl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Total Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeon View Post
Tesco are raising theirs to 25 because they were convicted of selling to underaged in Blackpool. Apparently the council there relentless pursued Tesco with endless sting operations till they finally got one.


As a shop worker, how are you spose to tell if someone is under a certain age?

Only was is to make it compulory to have ID to buy controlled items like Cigs, knives and booze.
Every little helps!
_______
This cookie is used to record if a user has accepted the use of cookies
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2009, 19:52   #32
watchcoll
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygood View Post
This whole ID mania of the past few years has gone way too far. Here's a recent article from the Register about ASDA and Tesco now asking people for ID to buy teaspoons. Teaspoons!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/asda_teaspoons/

Things aren't going to change until more people start either bursting into laughter when asked for ID or just leaving all of their shopping on the conveyor belt and walking out of the store. Alternatively, if you think that Think 21 and Think 25 are a bit ridiculous, start shopping at off licences that don't do it instead of supermarkets that do. Think 21 and Think 25 are only guidelines that supermarkets choose to follow, not actual laws. There's nothing illegal about selling a 19 year-old or 22 year-old alcohol without asking them for ID first.
if people want the supermarkets, national off licence chains, and many reputable small retailers to stop with the ID'ing and Think 21/25 campaigns then they need to complain to their MP's about the constant test purchasing that is put upon these establishments, because that is why they do it.

they do it to minimise that chance that a member of staff will make a mistake and serve the wrong person, so training them to ask everyone who looks young (basically thats what its all about - 21/25 is just a number) to show ID will mean they do not risk prosecution.

however, if the disgruntled people of sheffield let the council know that they do not want retailers to be tested in this way, then they will likely drop the think 21/25 policies and be more relaxed about the issue, as they are lees liable to be prosecuted should someone make a mistake, or just down right not care who they serve.

nb, although think 21 is not a law, most licensed retailers are expected to be a member of the responsible retailer scheme in sheffield. which promotes the use of think 21/25 in all those premises.
if you are not a member of the scheme then you should expect to be tested to the hilt until you finally make one mistake and then pay the price.
  Reply With Quote
12-07-2009, 09:43   #33
Fiorinda
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Total Posts: 1
I was asked for ID in M&S on Thursday to buy a mini bottle of Prosecco. It made my decade - I'm 44!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:39.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014