Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

I went to your ground a few times in the 60's both my brother's are wednesday fans,the atmosphere is not the same with all seater grounds.

Do you agree?

yeah your right when the kop used to be standing you couldn,t hear yourself think, those were the days.

There's a minute picture on this page on the SWFC website. Scroll down to the bottom, to see Mark Smith slotting home a pen against the Blunts on Boxing Day 1979. In the background you can see the heaving uncovered kop. Note the electronic scoreboard right at the top, I think it had stopped working!!!!

Thanks.

I've been given a link to this site which is brilliant. Loads of photo's on it and it's not just for football fans. The site is called Sheffieldhistory.co.uk. :thumbsup:

Ignore Canada Blade, he's an idiot. They tried to send him to Australia with all the other criminally insane but it was full so they sent him to Canada instead. Rumour had it that he's the person they based the "I'm a lumberjack" song on.

well thats my secret out then :help:

Now you all know how I ended up in Canada.

Thanks.

I've been given a link to this site which is brilliant. Loads of photo's on it and it's not just for football fans. The site is called Sheffieldhistory.co.uk. :thumbsup:

What a fantastic site. Loads of stuff about local sport, music, pubs, films and stuff. Fantastic shot of the uncovered kop.

Bertie (McGee) finally gave us a roof in 1986. Holding a massive 22,000, it became the largest covered standing area in Europe at the time. Yet for me, this in when the Kop lost it's atmosphere. The old middle of the kop, was now quite near the front. All the characters that used to congregate there seemed to have dispersed. The vocal element moved to the back of the Kop, but for me, it had been diluted. Also after years of "braving the elements", we were in luxury, did some of the old fire disappear? I thought so, or was I just getting older? ("Them wer days Lad!" Syndrome!)

Then, of course, in 1993 we got a seated Kop. Now this was the end for me! You had to sit where your ticket said. No more "I'll meet yer behind net 5 minutes before kickoff!"

"...Aye, them wer days Lad!"

I think I still have a badge somewhere that said 'Last Match on the Uncovered Kop'. Was the game against Ipswich?

But the first game on the covered Kop against Everton, and emergence of one Mr Hirst was definately to remember.

But I have to admit, the stadium lost atmosphere after the all seater rules.

I think I still have a badge somewhere that said 'Last Match on the Uncovered Kop'. Was the game against Ipswich?

But the first game on the covered Kop against Everton, and emergence of one Mr Hirst was definately to remember.

I'm with you on that Frankie. South stand for me now( last year the North) Hirsty ... top man better than the other side will ever know:thumbsup:

Wrong again blue boy our man Fatty Foulkes would have etten im alive.

Not often I agree with you but for once I do,we may still go down.

Not agree with me, when would that have been? Oh I get it, it must be when I question blunts certainty that they follow the best team in the western world and watch superb flowing football played in a veritable theatre of dreams. :hihi:

an ex girlfriend of mine did the sponsored walk or whatever it was to raise money for the roof

if i remember correctly we beat ipswich 1-0 (marwood)

and i was the mascot that day (against everton) :hihi:

Pardew wants Brunt

CHARLTON could be weighing up another transfer raid on Hillsborough.

Alan Pardew, boss of the Premiership outfit who lured Madjid Bougherra away in a £2.5 million deal, was at the Owls' match at QPR on Saturday.

Pardew was already having Brunt closely watched just before he was sacked as West Ham manager earlier in the season.