Sheffield Forum

Israel's legacy of death in Lebanon

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-09-2006, 10:23   #1
Greybeard
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Total Posts: 10,451
We thought it was all over, but the killing continues.

An average of four people a day are being killed in Lebanon, and many more seriously injured, by the anti-personel bomblets that Israel sprayed into Lebanon in the last days before the cease-fire took effect.

The Israelis knew that thirty percent of these bomblets would be lying around, unexploded and waiting for the Lebanese farmers returning to their fields and villages after the cease-fire. It looks like a determined effort to exact revenge on the civilian population of southern Lebanon long after hostilities were over.

I'd be interested to hear the govt.'s view on this act of delayed terrorism by our staunch ally in the Middle East.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle1616665.ece
_______
The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men. Plato - (429 to 347 BC)
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 15:06   #2
El-Mariachi
Registered User
El-Mariachi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
We thought it was all over, but the killing continues.

An average of four people a day are being killed in Lebanon, and many more seriously injured, by the anti-personel bomblets that Israel sprayed into Lebanon in the last days before the cease-fire took effect.

The Israelis knew that thirty percent of these bomblets would be lying around, unexploded and waiting for the Lebanese farmers returning to their fields and villages after the cease-fire. It looks like a determined effort to exact revenge on the civilian population of southern Lebanon long after hostilities were over.

I'd be interested to hear the govt.'s view on this act of delayed terrorism by our staunch ally in the Middle East.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle1616665.ece
and perhaps they'd also be nice enough to explain why our ally, that bastion of light and democracy in the otherwise sea of dictatorships, is actually violating the terms of the ceasefire ?

most of those being killed are children, but Israel and her allies knew that would occur.
_______
El

No hay nada tan atrevido como le ignorancia.
There is nothing more bold than ignorance.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 15:09   #3
Greybeard
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Total Posts: 10,451
I'll just bump this once, although I'm a little surprised, given the strength of feeling expressed here during the conflict, that it exites no interest at all.

Sounds like a war crime to me, but as it's Israel there will be nothing said about it. Calculated Israeli atrocity....par for the course !
_______
The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men. Plato - (429 to 347 BC)
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 15:55   #4
4U2NV
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Total Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
as it's Israel there will be nothing said about it.
spot on, Israel can't do wrong while the USA defends its atrocities.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 16:25   #5
tom3t0
Registered User
tom3t0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Netherlands
Total Posts: 3,425
maybe we could supplly lebanon nuclear tecchnology and make a tidy profit
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 16:47   #6
KenH
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 4,395
It always strikes me as strange that we think of some weapons are legitimate and others as not. The terrorists were firing rockets which were aimed generally at populated areas with the intention that they kill anyone, man woman or child. The Israelis, who are a sovereign democratic government then decide to attempt to stop these terrorists by bombing the areas from which they operate. When it is all over with, the Israelis are called terrorists because they used the wrong sort of bomb.
_______
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the communist party.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 16:52   #7
Lestat
Hakuna Lestata
Lestat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The house on the hill
Total Posts: 8,190
The Israeli's are terrorists, thats the main thing here. They are the ones who are being supplied and guided by the USA, the more I watch innocent children being killed and homes destroyed by them, the more I wonder why the Arab states dont do anything about it.

Surely it's time for the Arab states to tell the Americans to sod off and pull out all it's money.
_______
Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico
That which is unknown, is magnificent
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 16:58   #8
El-Mariachi
Registered User
El-Mariachi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
The Israeli's are terrorists, thats the main thing here. They are the ones who are being supplied and guided by the USA, the more I watch innocent children being killed and homes destroyed by them, the more I wonder why the Arab states dont do anything about it.

Surely it's time for the Arab states to tell the Americans to sod off and pull out all it's money.
The Arab states are quite pathetic and hence the problem of Al-Queda.
They want to remove all these weak govt's with ones that will and can do something about it.

no no no, Israel are not terrorists. Now repeat that a hundred times and you will become a gooood citizen.
_______
El

No hay nada tan atrevido como le ignorancia.
There is nothing more bold than ignorance.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 17:00   #9
El-Mariachi
Registered User
El-Mariachi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH
It always strikes me as strange that we think of some weapons are legitimate and others as not. The terrorists were firing rockets which were aimed generally at populated areas with the intention that they kill anyone, man woman or child. The Israelis, who are a sovereign democratic government then decide to attempt to stop these terrorists by bombing the areas from which they operate. When it is all over with, the Israelis are called terrorists because they used the wrong sort of bomb.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Israeli's started the attacks on Lebanese infrastucture, including civilian area's.

Furthermore, I was under the impression that Lebanon was a democratically elected govt.
_______
El

No hay nada tan atrevido como le ignorancia.
There is nothing more bold than ignorance.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 17:31   #10
KenH
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 4,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Mariachi
Furthermore, I was under the impression that Lebanon was a democratically elected govt.
They weren't fighting the Lebanese, they were fighting terrorists.
_______
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the communist party.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 17:50   #11
sccsux
Account Closed
sccsux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Googling "S1toS60" will find us:)
Total Posts: 14,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH
They weren't fighting the Lebanese, they were fighting terrorists.
Whilst bombing the Lebanese civillians and leaving illegal, unxeploded munitions, to injure and/or maim innocents.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 20:57   #12
VARB
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: S8
Total Posts: 378
Why do I feel uncomforable with alot of the critisism of Israel on this forum , theres an undercurrent of anti-semitism in many posting .
What alternative does Israel have but to fight , if innocent Lebanese civilians are suffering It's a tragedy and everything the world community can do to help should be done but tell me WHAT ELSE COULD ISRAEL DO ?
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 21:01   #13
royjames
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: sheffield/uk
Total Posts: 2,532
Send a message via MSN to royjames Send a message via Yahoo to royjames
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARB
Why do I feel uncomforable with alot of the critisism of Israel on this forum , theres an undercurrent of anti-semitism in many posting .
What alternative does Israel have but to fight , if innocent Lebanese civilians are suffering It's a tragedy and everything the world community can do to help should be done but tell me WHAT ELSE COULD ISRAEL DO ?

Exactly,maybe if the terrorists hadn't attacked Israel they wouldn't have this problem in the first place.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 22:31   #14
El-Mariachi
Registered User
El-Mariachi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH
They weren't fighting the Lebanese, they were fighting terrorists.
If, after the targeted destruction of the whole of the Lebanese infrastructure, the destruction of homes, businesses, roads, airports, power generation plants and civilian convoys (who in the first instance were told to leave their homes by the Israeli army).

If, after the whole nation was subjected to a air and sea "blockade" (i.e. a siege) you believe that the Israeli's were only targeting terrorists!

Surely then, you wouldn't have problems believing that Hizbollah, through firing rockets at a small number of Israeli towns, were infact fighting the Israeli Army and not the Israeli people
_______
El

No hay nada tan atrevido como le ignorancia.
There is nothing more bold than ignorance.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 22:38   #15
El-Mariachi
Registered User
El-Mariachi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARB
Why do I feel uncomforable with alot of the critisism of Israel on this forum , theres an undercurrent of anti-semitism in many posting .
What alternative does Israel have but to fight , if innocent Lebanese civilians are suffering It's a tragedy and everything the world community can do to help should be done but tell me WHAT ELSE COULD ISRAEL DO ?
ABIDE BY INTERNATIONAL NORMS AND TREATIES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS EXPECTED TO !
_______
El

No hay nada tan atrevido como le ignorancia.
There is nothing more bold than ignorance.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 22:44   #16
KenH
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 4,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Mariachi
If, after the targeted destruction of the whole of the Lebanese infrastructure, the destruction of homes, businesses, roads, airports, power generation plants and civilian convoys (who in the first instance were told to leave their homes by the Israeli army).

If, after the whole nation was subjected to a air and sea "blockade" (i.e. a siege) you believe that the Israeli's were only targeting terrorists!

Surely then, you wouldn't have problems believing that Hizbollah, through firing rockets at a small number of Israeli towns, were infact fighting the Israeli Army and not the Israeli people
I don't believe anything of the sort. I just think that we should bear in mind that Israels enemies are quite happy to fire any sort of munition that can lay their hands on at any civilian target and they couldn't care less if it explodes in a school or an army barracks.

The Israelis are also subject to suicide bombers on buses who target women and children. What difference is there between firing a bomb that leaves unexploded munitions behind and firing rockets at civilian targets?
_______
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the communist party.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 22:49   #17
donkey
Registered User
donkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Total Posts: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH
What difference is there between firing a bomb that leaves unexploded munitions behind and firing rockets at civilian targets?

Precisely the point, no difference. Where there is a difference, is that one set of butchers are considered to be evil terrorists, while the other set are considered to be our freedom loving allies in the middle-east. (By our Prime Minister, anyway)
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 23:09   #18
VARB
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: S8
Total Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Mariachi
ABIDE BY INTERNATIONAL NORMS AND TREATIES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS EXPECTED TO !
So when faced with suicide bombers and threats to annililate an entire nation Israel should ask for a resolution at the UN ?
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2006, 23:42   #19
Greybeard
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Total Posts: 10,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARB
So when faced with suicide bombers and threats to annililate an entire nation Israel should ask for a resolution at the UN ?
That would be funny, Israel seeking a UN resolution to protect its borders.

Which borders exactly ? The ones it's expanded into in defiance of UN resolutions ? Israel would like the Litani river as its northern border, but has been denied that so has sown the seeds of death over southern Lebanon.

Perhaps when members of the UN peace-keeping force start getting blown up by these anti-personell mines somebody might sit up and take notice.

And please don't play the 'race' card. Israel by its own racially motivated actions has dug itself into the bunker it now has to live in.
_______
The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men. Plato - (429 to 347 BC)
  Reply With Quote
19-09-2006, 09:48   #20
El-Mariachi
Registered User
El-Mariachi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARB
So when faced with suicide bombers and threats to annililate an entire nation Israel should ask for a resolution at the UN ?
If you believe suicide bombers can destroy an entire nation which is armed with the latest military gadgets and not forgetting the small matter of nukes then I'm afraid your simply paranoid.

We're talking about renewing our nuclear detterent in this country, but hell what a waste of money! All we have to do is set up a couple of battalions of suicide bombers. Now thats what I call value for money
_______
El

No hay nada tan atrevido como le ignorancia.
There is nothing more bold than ignorance.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:00.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server