The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Euro now stronger than the pound for holiday makers. £1=€0.88

This is the price of brexit, and its only going to get more expensive.

Narrow minded racists bigots got us into this state... can't afford to wait until they realise it is suicide.

Many leavers I know are now regretting it and want to change their minds - and yet democracy won't let them.

Another referendum now - before it is too late!

Narrow minded racists bigots got us into this state... can't afford to wait until they realise it is suicide.

Many leavers I know are now regretting it and want to change their minds - and yet democracy won't let them.

Look on the bright side Skeggy will get busy.

My bold=

Your one of those remain refuseniks that loves chucking the insults about arn't ya? :rolleyes:

Edited by mafya

Today it has been reported that the London official given the responsibility of protecting the City of London during Brexit talks has warned government Ministers that time is running out to stop major companies from relocating staff.

He also stated that ministers have made some big errors so far, it took them a year to come up with an offer for resident EU citizens to stay in the UK and even then the offer is " as clear as mud ".

Meanwhile, the Japanese have offered to lend trade negotiators to Britain to agree a post Brexit deal with the European Union.

The Japanese have years of experience negotiating with the EU which has resulted in the successful completion of one of the worlds biggest free trade agreements.

Think about that for a minute, why would Japan think that we might want to involve a foreign country intervening on our behalf in negotiations which are vital to the future welfare of the UK?

The only possible reason has to be that they are totally familiar with EU negotiations from their own experience, and can see that we are making a pigs breakfast out of it.

We are a laughing stock, it's apparent that our politicians are out of their depth and haven't a clue.

We have two choices, carry on regardless ( which will make an appropriate future film title ) and go into a recession which will return us to ' The sick man of Europe' point in our history, or reach the stage when we can see exactly what leaving the most successful Trade Bloc in the world entails, and have another referendum based upon facts that were not available first time around.

As that would be the most democratic thing to do I can see no reason why Brexiteers would object, unless of course they aren't really democrats, and are afraid that there may have been a change of heart, which would mean the majority might vote against their wishes this time.

Surely not, after all it's what the people want that matters, isn't it?

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-brexit-bankers/

"London could lose 10,000 banking jobs and 20,000 roles in financial services as clients move 1.8 trillion euros ($2.1 trillion) of assets out of the U.K. on Brexit, according to think-tank Bruegel. The implications for the U.K. are substantial: finance and related professional services bring in some £190 billion ($248 billion) a year, representing 12 percent of the British economy."

Wasn't this all just project fear?

Strange, bought some today and it was 1.09 euros to the pound.

There are a lot of mental discussions going on. It's hard to believe what this has come to.

Both sides playing games with 70m peoples' lives

The EU have been playing Russian Roulette with the population of all Europe for the last 10-15yrs.

Just look at the state of Sweden, France, Germany, England etc through the OPEN BORDER policies. Utter madness.

We need to get out - fast !

There may well be financial consequences by leaving. However, the consequences of staying in the EU are much worse long term.

An organisation run by unelected people, who are a danger to 'all' of European people.

The EU have been playing Russian Roulette with the population of all Europe for the last 10-15yrs.

Just look at the state of Sweden, France, Germany, England etc through the OPEN BORDER policies. Utter madness.

There may well be financial consequences by leaving. However, the consequences of staying in the EU are much worse long term.

An organisation run by unelected people, who are a danger to 'all' of European people.

Nonsense !

Tell us about "the state" of those countries...

---------- Post added 22-07-2017 at 23:55 ----------

Strange, bought some today and it was 1.09 euros to the pound.

Hardly something to be proud of, although not as bad as Litotes made out.

Euro costs 92p

I remember when it was more like 66p, and even recently it wasn't worse than 80p...

---------- Post added 22-07-2017 at 23:56 ----------

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-brexit-bankers/

"London could lose 10,000 banking jobs and 20,000 roles in financial services as clients move 1.8 trillion euros ($2.1 trillion) of assets out of the U.K. on Brexit, according to think-tank Bruegel. The implications for the U.K. are substantial: finance and related professional services bring in some £190 billion ($248 billion) a year, representing 12 percent of the British economy."

Wasn't this all just project fear?

Now it's project reality. As is the massive bill for leaving the EU, and the inability to access the common market without accepting free movement and thus gaining basically nothing (but losing much) by leaving.

You really don't get it do you?

The EU?

We are the EU, or at least we were, until last June.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1kI7C-Z3VAhVLKMAKHThACckQFgh_MBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcontent%2F202a60c0-cfd8-11e5-831d-09f7778e7377&usg=AFQjCNFMPSGvdtC76gPe-l8YIWvUV1mCdw

In the years that the UK has been a member of the European trade organization it has played it's part and been consulted on all matters.

The UK has lost 76 votes during that time, 76 out of 2,466 votes.

Are you old enough to remember what it was like before we joined?

'The sick man of Europe'. the three day week?

If you want your opinion to be taken seriously please tell us upon which facts you based your decision to vote leave.

The facts upon which I based my decision to vote Remain were as follows.

1, Despite it's many faults the EU is the wealthiest, most successful Trade Bloc in the world.

2, Over 50% of immigration into the UK was from outside the EU and the responsibility of the British government, and therefore to use immigration as a reason to leave was ridiculous.

3, Whilst a member of the European trade organization the UK has fought wars with Argentina,Iraq,Afghanistan has bombed Libya, held a parliamentary debate as to whether or not to go to war in Syria, has a nuclear defence agreement with a non EU country and has declined to join the Euro or sign up for Schengen.

Unless you can explain precisely what exact piece of control we don't have then the 'Taking back control' nonsense is exactly that, nonsense.

4, The 'opportunities which will become available to us once we've left' garbage spouted by people like IDS with absolutely nothing to back up this pie in the sky fantasy.

It is a fact that four EU countries Germany,France,Italy and the Netherlands are currently more successful exporters than us.

What has stopped us from exploiting our opportunities to date?

What is suddenly going to change and improve our situation when we leave the most successful Trade Bloc in the World and lose the advantage of the strength of negotiation provided by access to a 500,000,000 population market place?

If you can provide me with opposing facts which paint a different picture and which persuaded you to vote Leave then fair enough, while I may very well still disagree with your decision I will accept that at least you had some facts upon which to base it.

On the other hand, if you can only come up with feelings, emotions and anti EU prejudice with no actual facts to justify them then I will continue to hold the opinion of Brexiteers which I currently have.

EU demands child benefit payments continue for EU workers after Brexit= https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/22/eu-child-benefits-brexit

Interesting piece on why we need to stop romanticising the idea of Europe= http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/europe-brexit-nation-state-commonwealth-a7855031.html

Edited by mafya

Now it's project reality.

Quite, there were many here who claimed this would never happen when it was mentioned last year.... I notice they've all gone a bit quiet now.

And the supposed "quick" US/UK trade deal:-

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/22/rushing-into-trade-deal-with-us-would-harm-uk

Edited by Magilla