Why are Leeds disliked by other football clubs?

There was a big question mark over the defeat by Milan, bribery and match fixing, Leeds felt/feel that a replay was in order, it's a catchy chant, join in next time :hihi:

There was a big question mark over the defeat by Milan, bribery and match fixing, Leeds felt/feel that a replay was in order, it's a catchy chant, join in next time :hihi:

Am I right in thinking it was the Cup Winners Cup? Not even the proper European Cup? ;)

Edit - There was a CWC final v Milan and an EC final v Bayern.

Edited by Alex_B
*fact checking*

Yep! That's right, it took place in Europe though, when you're Leeds you snatch what you can :hihi:

Yep! That's right, it took place in Europe though, when you're Leeds you snatch what you can :hihi:

When all was said and done that so called great team of the 60's and 70's were just perennial second place or beaten finalists almost all the time .Always in the shadow of Liverpool, always the bridesmaid, rarely the bride. Oh and a bunch of dirty ******** to boot. I disliked them so much, I even went to Bramall Lane when they played United to cheer on the Blades LOL

Edited by TORONTONY

Almost all the time. They had successes and by and large they're remembered as a great team and rightly so. Hard tackling was a feature of football back then, they weren't the only club dishing it out.

I get that Sheffield has a dislike for Leeds, it isn't just about the football, it's most everything. It's an era they are proud of and why shouldn't they be, it would be no different if it were the Owls or Blades branded as cheats. They'd be beating the drum.

Almost all the time. They had successes and by and large they're remembered as a great team and rightly so. Hard tackling was a feature of football back then, they weren't the only club dishing it out.

I get that Sheffield has a dislike for Leeds, it isn't just about the football, it's most everything. It's an era they are proud of and why shouldn't they be, it would be no different if it were the Owls or Blades branded as cheats. They'd be beating the drum.

The hard tackling was a feature with the defenders, like Charlton, Reaney, Cooper and yes even Hunter. Bremner and Giles, however, were a disgrace. Ironically, they were two of the best midfielders around and the dirty play was so unnecessary. By the way, list the things that team actually won or came first in.

It's on the Wikipedia article

English Leagues

Football League First Division/Premier League

Champions (3): 1968–69, 1973–74, 1991–92

Football League Second Division/Football League Championship

Winners (3): 1923–24, 1963–64, 1989–90

English Cups

FA Cup

Winners (1): 1971–72

Football League Cup

Winners (1): 1967–68

FA Charity Shield/Community Shield

Winners (2): 1969, 1992

European competition

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup

Winners (2): 1967–68, 1970–71

The short answer is "not a lot really" ;)

Well we were talking early 60's to mid 70's. So the third Div 1 title, the 2nd charity shield and two of the Div2 titles don't count, and the Fairs Cup was a bloody joke.:P Now make a list of what a really great team did in the same timeframe i.e. Liverpool.

What would be the point, its well known that Liverpool's record of achievement is streets ahead but I'm not saying that Leeds are better than any other club am I neither was I bragging that they'd won a bunch of silverware.

One last point on this topic, from me, is that if the 3 points for a win system had been introduced in the 60's ,Leeds would have won <removed> all.

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing