How will the Trump presidency affect BREXIT ?

It certainly is, especially when dealing with a new President who wants to re-introduce trade tariffs to protect US jobs over foreign jobs when your key-economy is international finance which is already under pressure from a potential loss of passporting.

Keep cheering, the world is changing!

I keep cheering because my glass is always half full :)

Haven`t you already posted that, it`s a bit tendentious isn`t it ? And anyway, we haven`t actually left the EU yet.....

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 14:45 ----------

For Iraq or for Britain ?

It`s worse for Britain.

how is brexit worse for Britain

I think every single one of us will be dead by Christmas 2017

So its fair to say I'm not overly hopeful for the long term

I think every single one of us will be dead by Christmas 2017

So its fair to say I'm not overly hopeful for the long term

I guess your glass is less than half empty :help:

He actually is losing the popular vote.

With 99% of votes counted, Hillary Clinton has 59,680,006 votes. Donald Trump has 59,479,105 votes.

Clinton therefore has more of the popular vote than Trump.

(As did Al Gore when he lost against Bush Jr in 2000)

at time of post i was correct

at time of post i was correct

He may have been winning the popular vote at the time by 1%, but it was incorrect to say that he had won the popular vote by 1%.

It actually makes your point more valid.

Edited by Robin-H

I doubt they'll be any friendly deals under the negotiations table from Trump, I think May will want his hands firmly above the table at all times..:clap:

It won't affect Brexit at all other than to give the EU mandarins an even bigger headache than they had before. DT is a battle hardened, successful businessman who has traded in some of the toughest places in America (unionised, Mafia run New York for example). If he applies the same sort of business acumen to running the country as he has done with his businesses, then we stand a chance of doing very well out of it.

Two things stand out, his Scottish roots and golf course and Nigel Farage who may be about to become an amazing (and unwanted by many) link between the two Nations. There is no telling where this might end up.

The world has changed with the political elite ruling class on the run. Whether DT will be allowed to pursue any of his plans by his own party (until he 'drains the swamp') remains to be seen, but for business, DT has to be a good thing. It will be fascinating to see what he does about China and indeed globalisation in general which is responsible for so many manufacturing job losses in both the US and UK. If he does manage to 'level the playing field', normal Americans, just like us Brits, would much prefer to buy home made products provided the price is OK.

I dont think the Trump win will have much effect on Brexit but given we have just had 2 voting upsets what's next? The French elections will be in April and May and the German one in September so more upsets could be on the cards.

I think more so than ever the past few years in politics have shown us how dreadfully disjointed, distrustful and fear-infected our world has become.

Due to our insatiable penchant for hyperbole, the media are forced to take ever more extreme stances when trying to force their own opinion across. Making certain groups and people seem like the devil incarnate.

'Due partiality' is extinct, non-existent. Every publication, every broadcaster is partisan - some duplicitously so - so where does that leave us?

We're hurtling towards destruction as a species and our innate arrogance is merely expediting the process.

Because of what we're told is at stake by the omnipotent media, nobody wants to admit that they're wrong. Look at the Labour leadership contest, Brexit and no doubt the fall-out from this election for recent proof.

People hide from dialogue, dismiss dissenters and only hear what they want to hear. This is terrifying, dangerous and certainly not democratic. We're more divided and more dissonant than ever, with this division and dissonance being communicated faster and more continuously than ever before.

The 'let's build a wall'? Could now become a metaphor for stronger borders - something which may actually prove beneficial - we have nowhere near the same experience of immigration in the UK as the U.S.A, and so it's wrong for us to tell them how to get their house in order (particularly after a referendum won on anti-immigrant rhetoric).

wow is that basically saying the state is out of tune with population, that climate change is getting discredited, giving it the big eve ho, or people know what they want and no one is listening.

Edited by phil752