Switching broadband provider, but not to PlusNet.

Hi Waldo,

I'm in exactly the same position. VM have hiked up their prices and for a number of reasons, we have decided to flit. The best offer I found was from the Post office. Less than half the cost of VM with unlimited calls and broadband, albeit at a slower speed (17Mb ish) . After offering to pay the line rental up front for a year, they waived the £60 line installation fee. I'm tied in for 18 months at £19.99/m.

I use Sky, never had an issue and download very heavily, no throttling or speed drops at peak times, plus good upload speeds.

Currently paying £37 for Fibre, phone line, family bundle (box sets etc).

I am with Plusnet. But we dont have fibre around where i live. My net comes through my phone line. I pay £19 a month for unlimited Broadband. We do have a landline but never use it.

Well I bit the bullet and change suppliers yesterday and chose Plusnet 38Mbs fibre.

Was happy before with EE but unhappy when I wanted to renew my contract. Phoned them up and was told that it would now cost me £33.50 PM despite their web page stating £28.50 for 18 months. When I queried it the woman on the phone use the old trick and said that it was for new customers only. Despite me pointing out that the page stated I was an existing customer and nowhere did it state for "new customers only" they refused to lower it as they "are not allowed to."

With Plusnet I have paid the line-rental up front for 12 months costing £185 = £15.41 PM and pay £9.51 PM for broadband. I just have line rental and no phone package, will use my own router (saving £6.99) and no setup fees either.

Also phoned TT but didn't like their pushy scripted attitude and despite telling them I didn't have a mobile they kept offering me a free sim!

Hope the information may help others.

I am with Plusnet. But we dont have fibre around where i live. My net comes through my phone line.

So does BT, PlusNet, Sky and similar Fibre packages.

Just to update, VM phoned us after we left and offered us line rental and '70 gb fibre' for £24 per month.

Interesting article on quidco here:

https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/quidco-cashback-sites-problems/

My question on quidco is - "What happens to all my personal data?" - what guarantees (if any) are there that I may become a victim of ID theft? ;)

Is there anything to suggest that the cash-back site gets access to your personal data? I would think all that's transmitted between the cash-back site, and retailers site, would be an anonymous unique ID. Surely that's all that would be required?

Sorry for reviving an old thread but......

About a month ago I was looking at my Virgin Media bill and saw they are planning on increasing it by £9 a month from August, apparently it was some kind of "loyalty" discount that will run out.

Phoned them up to be offered 100MB broadband, currently on 50MB which they no longer offer, plus my existing phone package for £42 a month (£10 more than a new customer, I've been with them through various company changes for nearly 20 years) I said this wasn't acceptable and would give them a week to give me a better deal. A week later, no better deal so I called them again.

This time they looked at my phone usage, it's minimal, and offered to downgrade my phone package, give me the 100MB broadband for, wait for it....... £42 a month. So a worse offer than before for the same money!

They obviously don't regard customer retention as a priority so I'm looking elsewhere and will be cancelling my VM asap. The best deal, for me, seems to be BT Unlimited Infinity 1 package at £29.99 a month for 12 months plus £34.99 installation fees.

Does anyone have any experience with BT Broadband? Like I say, I've been with VM for nigh on 20 years so am a bit out of the loop when it comes to other ISP's

Have you got that right sinic?

Just had a look and it states the unlimited infinity 1 package is £34.99 PM for 12 months with half price activation fee of £25.