Devonshire arms middle handley

I'd be interested in trying it again now Cary Brown has taken over, I used to go in when it was a pub years and years ago (the best pint of Stones for miles) it always had potential but the prices were prohibitive, although the food was good.

This is a view on what it's like now http://wp.me/p5wFIX-w3

looking forward to trying it very soon, never had a bad meal at any of his places:thumbsup:

I'd be interested in trying it again now Cary Brown has taken over, I used to go in when it was a pub years and years ago (the best pint of Stones for miles) it always had potential but the prices were prohibitive, although the food was good.

Yes people would travel from miles around to sample the stones expertly pulled by old Tom the landlord I can't remember is wife's name though but she was a lovely lady.

we went on Saturday and we were not disappointed "fruit de Mer " £50 a bargain for 2, 2xcrabs, loads of prawns,mussel's , smoked salmon , whole lobster and french bread!! lovely atmosphere relaxed and comfy, will be going again very soon.

Yes people would travel from miles around to sample the stones expertly pulled by old Tom the landlord I can't remember is wife's name though but she was a lovely lady.

His wife was called Jean, proper old school landlord Tom was at one time he was one of the longest serving landlords in the country. The good old days before the greedy pubco's took over things.

His wife was called Jean, proper old school landlord Tom was at one time he was one of the longest serving landlords in the country. The good old days before the greedy pubco's took over things.

That's it Jean thanks.

Am I right in thinking this is the same bloke that took on the Beauchief and made a complete mess of it? What hope in Middle Handley I wonder?

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 00:01 ----------

Not as friendly as Old Tom. I preferred their daughter myself but that's another story.

A walk through the woods and a pint for 2 shilling in the beer garden beneath the spreading chestnut tree - and a goodnight kiss from Tom's daughter. Bliss!

This is not meant to be a re-write of "Cider with Rosie" btw. It's my own, "Stones with Lisa".

Edited by DerbyTup

Am I right in thinking this is the same bloke that took on the Beauchief and made a complete mess of it? What hope in Middle Handley I wonder?

Don't think he was at The Beauchief. The last venture I remember him having was the Steak Bar The London Club I.e. The old Tuckwoods on Surrey Street. His most well known venture was probably Slammers on Ecclesall Road which I quite liked , I Also liked his mini bar at The Hunters Bar Roundabout.

I also think when the Devonshire was remodelled and relaunched quite a few years ago he was originally involved in the food side of things.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

Thanks Veritas, I don't come here often, but I remember you know what you're talking about, so your word is good enough for me!

No Cary had nothing to do with the Beauchief , that was Christian Kent and there was more to that story than people know! the last operators there were Richard Smiths Thornbridge and they are the ones that cocked it up.

you should try The Devonshire you wont be disappointed if you like fresh seafood and good steak its highly recommended.:thumbsup:

Don't think he was at The Beauchief. The last venture I remember him having was the Steak Bar The London Club I.e. The old Tuckwoods on Surrey Street. His most well known venture was probably Slammers on Ecclesall Road which I quite liked , I Also liked his mini bar at The Hunters Bar Roundabout.

I also think when the Devonshire was remodelled and relaunched quite a few years ago he was originally involved in the food side of things.

spot on

Edited by nikki-red

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 00:01 ----------

Not as friendly as Old Tom. I preferred their daughter myself but that's another story.

A walk through the woods and a pint for 2 shilling in the beer garden beneath the spreading chestnut tree - and a goodnight kiss from Tom's daughter. Bliss!

This is not meant to be a re-write of "Cider with Rosie" btw. It's my own, "Stones with Lisa".

Lucky you.