Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Willybite.

I was just pointing out that our trans-Atlantic cousins also use the word frame, but in a different context

Myself,as a lad I often remember being told " Nah dat framing"

My Mum too grinder used it like that :)

My Grandma used to use the word 'frame' in the context of her telling us, when we were kids and helping us to put our shoes on to 'frame yer foot'.

When my mam is amazed / shocked by something she says '' it makes ya scratch yer head wheeere it dunt itch'' What ??!!!

My dad was a miner an my mam used to 'put his snap up' - that was his pack up sandwiches for his dinner. He'd say has tha dun mi snap lass?

Genius !!

'Asda' sounds a bit like 'aster'. My grandad always said 'aster' (i.e. 'hast thou') and 'wilter' (i.e. wilt thou') instead of 'have you' and 'will you'. So he might say "aster bin ooam?", "aster gorr any fags" or "wilter lend me a bob?" etc.

As well as "aster" there's also "astle" - as in "astle claht thee if tha dunt gee.o'er"..:P

As well as "aster" there's also "astle" - as in "astle claht thee if tha dunt gee.o'er"..:P

ahs'll is a contracture of "Ah-shall" (More correctly "I shall")

My dad was a miner an my mam used to 'put his snap up' - that was his pack up sandwiches for his dinner. He'd say has tha dun mi snap lass?

Genius !!

Always in an Oxo tin.

Another old saying was a tuppny tustard tut in two, what does anyone know what it means? and not often am reight but am wrong again.

Another old saying was a tuppny tustard tut in two, what does anyone know what it means? and not often am reight but am wrong again.

A tuppenny Custard, cut in two:-a bit "wet" and "wobbly" IIRC

I think the second one speaks for itself.

What about... "ni-mind im, luck wier dat gooin"...( never mind him, look where your going). or "SIDDI" for see here

Then there's wat'ch (a wrist clock or some thing you should look at). Spoken as it's spelt, Like wat'er... Not WHOT'CH or WHORT'ER . Ba'th not BAR'TH and WAN'T not WON'T which means, WILL NOT.....

An na mi he'ads urtin........

Edited by grinder