What do you do with mail thats not yours?

I've had a bad tenant who has sodded off and as he doesnt want to give me his forwarding address to chase money owed then i'm not keeping his mail....how do i let the post office know to not bring anything of a certain name to this address?

thanks in advance...

my mate is a postman..but he never picks up his damn phone

He was a bad tenant, right? Have a good look through it and see if there's anything you can take advantage of: credit cards, loans etc ;)

I used to get a fair bit of post to my address thats not mine...i just write 'not at this address' on the front and stick it back in the postbox, seems to work as i hardly get anything now

I've had a bad tenant who has sodded off and as he doesnt want to give me his forwarding address to chase money owed then i'm not keeping his mail....how do i let the post office know to not bring anything of a certain name to this address?

thanks in advance...

my mate is a postman..but he never picks up his damn phone

They legally have to bring it to your address because the sender has paid them to do so unless the former addressee instructs them otherwise. You can either chuck them away or if you are conscientious citizen write "return to sender" and put them back in a post box some time. If they are debtors chasing money it's in your interest to let sender know before they get a CCJ on your address.

From the post office website:

If there’s a return address: put a single diagonal line through your address, circle the return address and write “not known at this address”, and re-post it, or hand it to whoever delivers your post. Hopefully this means whoever sent the mail can update their records and you won’t be bothered again.

If there’s no return address: just strike through your address, write “not known at this address” and re-post it, or hand it to whoever delivers your post.

I put "return to sender. person not known at this address". Seems to work.

The posties round here are a bit clueless, I've had no end of stuff chucked through my letterbox that's been for addresses at least 2 roads away! :loopy:

Usually if it's in walking distance I'll try and redeliver it to the intended addressee by hand, I'm community spirited like that you see :D

cheers guys, did go on post office site but i must be a big 'magoo' tonight

Not quite the topic but Iasked my mailman the other day if he hated carrying all those catalogs knowing most people chucked them out, he said, God no! these are my job security now, being theres not much snail mail anymore and some days these catalogs will stop,then i'll be delivering bottle water i suppose :)

i was geting silly amounts of post for the prev owner of my house so bundled it all together with a note saying not at this address and stuck it in the post box. Get very little now

I've had one legal letter through my door for past residents too. Since I'm the owner of the house, I took it into my own hands to literally open the letter to see what it is all about. (I don't know if I have broken any laws doing that.) I then also rang the number stated on the letter, and told them of the situation, and I make sure that it's "on the record" too.

Normally, if it's junk mail, then I add the name to the website MPS Online(?) to make sure I don't get their spam mails.

Else, if it's a company, but not a legal letter of any type which ties to any court judgements, I just cross the letter and send it back to any return address on the envelope. I write specifically, "no longer live here".

Don't know if that is the right way, but I seem to get less letters/spam...

The guy who owned the house before us died, so there is no point resending it on so we just chuck it in the bin. Used to get quite a lot, but don't get anything now. Doesn't really make that much difference to us, if they want to spend their money sending it then let them, they make enough of it.

He has had a couple of legal looking letters though, we made sure that they went back in the post, or like someone said above, we have opened them and made sure that its not something that is going to affect us. Think my sister once had bailiffs because of the previous owner so we were a bit paranoid.