Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Get your mop cut= go and get a hair cut:

Remember when the young lads all had a "parting" and a "quiff"?

What's right for Sheffield - rather than Yorkshire - is there a definitive Ey up or Ay up or does it not matter?

Thanks

What's right for Sheffield - rather than Yorkshire - is there a definitive Ey up or Ay up or does it not matter?

Thanks

If you said Ayup in Sheffield when I was a lad, we would assume you were from some exotic far away place like Bawtry, Barnsley or Rotherham.

Edited by trastrick

You're right, Rossy. All your stuff (the cobbles) is very local to where we lived.

Heeley Green area wasn't it?

Spent quite awhile living in Heeley, yes,from 12 to 24.

Best place I ever lived in for Picture houses, and mates to knock about with.:thumbsup:

Funny thing is, we never seemed to used the pubs there much...

Up to neck in it.....busy

Fed up to back teeth.....disgruntled

Had a belly full.......Had enough

Edited by grinder

Spent quite awhile living in Heeley, yes,from 12 to 24.

Best place I ever lived in for Picture houses, and mates to knock about with.:thumbsup:

Funny thing is, we never seemed to used the pubs there much...

Up to neck in it.....busy

Fed up to back teeth.....disgruntled

Had a belly full.......Had enough

I hate to keep saying it but me too!

I never did go into the Wagon, the Roundhouse or the Ball Inn, the three closest pubs. Strange because we hit just about every other pub within 5 miles.

Were we too "fancy" for our own neighborhood?

(Actually, I was in the Ball Inn a couple years ago, when I was back in the UK for a visit looking for news of old pals)

Geus a whiz then! (dad to small child) -kiss

clever dick

spotty clock

a reight misery

Edited by trastrick

I hate to keep saying it but me too!

I never did go into the Wagon, the Roundhouse or the Ball Inn, the three closest pubs. Strange because we hit just about every other pub within 5 miles.

Were we too "fancy" for our own neighborhood?

(Actually, I was in the Ball Inn a couple years ago, when I was back in the UK for a visit looking for news of old pals)

Geus a whiz then! (dad to small child) -kiss

clever dick

spotty clock

a reight misery

Don't know what era you are referring to , but it seems to have been some time ago .

I used the Waggon and the round house back in the late 60's early 70's , and they were both good locals .

I think that you may have made a good self assessment .

Unfortunately , you missed out on becoming acquainted with the the locals and enjoying a good set of people.

Edited by mikebatty

My era for pubs was ten years earlier, late fifty's early sixty's, and I'm not saying we never went local we did, but dance halls and the cinemas played a bigger part in our lives than local pubs back then.

In fact it's hard to explain to any one who wasn't around pre TV how important the flicks were in our lives back then..

When we did finally settle on a local the group had changed and we all met up in Woodseats....

Hungry nose bugger, allus starvin....

Edited by grinder

Don't know what era you are referring to , but it seems to have been some time ago .

I used the Waggon and the round house back in the late 60's early 70's , and they were both good locals .

I think that you may have made a good self assessment .

Unfortunately , you missed out on becoming acquainted with the the locals and enjoying a good set of people.

1955 -60

Elm Tree, Broadfield, Red Lion, a couple on London Road which were all handy to the dance halls. Later the Pomona and Punch Bowl, and the locals with the lads whenever we worked out of town. Locals out of town were dangerous, because they did not take kindly to outsiders chatting up their girls.

Can't blame 'em really, because sometimes we would descend on a small town like a bunch of horny Vikings.

I remember two in particular where we were always at war.

Edited by trastrick

Oh no I didn't ^^^....:confused:

Allus picking on me.....victimisation....

Edited by grinder