Asda Handsworth Complaint - Alcohol Sales - new over 25 rule

That's your choice, if you want some booze next time take it. Its not heavy. If not then stop complaining.

I think this thread is getting off the point.

The point about it is, Asda are now beginning to implement a policy whereby if you look under 25, you should be asked for ID.

My point is that the current law states that they should 'challenge 21'. All of the notification around the Asda stores also state that if you look under 21, you will be asked for ID.

Why are they not advising that you will be asked for ID if you look under 25?

How could I have been shopping there for 3 years and then suddenly have this process begin?

"Yob Britain" :rolleyes:

The point about it is, Asda are now beginning to implement a policy whereby if you look under 25, you should be asked for ID.

My point is that the current law states that they should 'challenge 21'. All of the notification around the Asda stores also state that if you look under 21, you will be asked for ID.

With some respect, I don't really think it matters whether they are advertising it as being under 25 or under 21, because the entire thing is subjective anyway. If a particular cashier thinks you look young enough to need carding, then its their obligation to do so. It's not really up to you. The only thing that's up to you is your choice as to where you shop. As you've only been asked for ID once in 3 years I would assume this to be a random act and not really be too concerned over it.

Maybe avoid that cashier next time, though.

evo2000 - seriously, although you were embarrassed a little bit, you still got your booze.

i can only suggest you never darken there doorstep or bank account again.

its not the cashiers fault. just doing what she was told.

as for having a leg to stand on, what for?? are you going to sue??

i think you need a hobby and need to stop complaining about petty little things when your only 27. leave that for the victor meldrew type

You seem to think you have received poor customer service but from what you've said it doesn't seem you have.

The cashier would lose her job if she didn't ID you and it turned out you were underaged. With make up etc nowadays it is easy for someone to look 30 when they're really 16. Everyday we have to do things we don't like to comply with the rules eg sticking to one way systems even if it adds 10 mins to our journey, carrying around ID is just another minor inconvenience that on the whole makes the world run more smoothly.

If some 15 year olds were stoked up on lager and vandalising your car or garden you would be complaining and saying more should be done to stop this.

Rules and routines, like ID anyone who may possibly be under age, are what allow us to live in a civilised society. Stop the whinging and play along.

anyone who retails alcohol can at any time implement restrictions as to who buys it.

just like having entry refused to club 'because you have white socks on' or being barred in a pub. buy it somewhere else

I carry ID. I carry things with my name, address and place of work. The only thing I don't carry is photographic ID. The only photographic ID I have is my passport, and I can't justify carrying that around to go to Asda

Well i can justify it......

The next time you want alcohol from ASDA.

Or are you going to come on here a rant about it saying "oh they stopped me for I.D agin, and wouldn't serve me!"

The Cashier is right

The company does everything in there power to make sure that they don't lose there licence (and righly so).

You are warned before you make the purchase that you may be asked for I.D, and if you don't you may be refused sale.

So it is YOU who is in the wrong

Well i can justify it......

The next time you want alcohol from ASDA.

Or are you going to come on here a rant about it saying "oh they stopped me for I.D agin, and wouldn't serve me!"

The Cashier is right

The company does everything in there power to make sure that they don't lose there licence (and righly so).

You are warned before you make the purchase that you may be asked for I.D, and if you don't you may be refused sale.

So it is YOU who is in the wrong

Spot on.

If caught serving to underage, the store manager, the duty manager, the beer, wines and spirits manager and the cashier involved are ALL liable to be fined : from memory, up to £10 grand each. Add to that the fact that the store might lose the drinks licence, and you can see why the rules/regs exist.

This kind of thing doesn't just apply to alcohol sales : for obvious reasons, fireworks, adhesives, tobacco all carry similar regulations.

Did you know that "party poppers" are also covered?!

I am almost 26 myself and have noticed i'm getting IDd a lot more recently. Even in Poundland when buying chocolate liquors :hihi:

I Worked in HMV for a while and used to ask lots of people to prove that they were over 18 to buy an 18 Rated dvd. Why you ask? Because if i got it wrong and was caught i stood to get a £6000 fine and upto a 6 month prison sentance. So form my point of view i ask anyone where i was not sure cause i did not have a spare 6k, i suspect its the same.

I had people like you that would moan about it and refuse to show me id. Guess what the store manager backed me up and they left with out the items they wanted. More so when you get the idots being abusive becasue you have dared to ask to see id.

The shop is entitled to have there policy and are totally correct for enforcing it, my wifes friend was in asda recently and asked for id, she didn't spit her dummy out and stamp her feet.

With everything else thats going on in the world, you choose to moan about having to prove how old you are. GROW UP!

I can't say I agree with you on any level and I think the best advice I would give is "Put yourself in their shoes". You were offended because you got asked for ID... jeeez... I work in the industry of selling alcolhol and I can tell you without a doubt if I was unsure enough to ask you for ID and you didn't produce it there is no way I'd risk a fine. You could stand there all day if you liked...

Guest teebee

speaking as a cashier, do you think we want all the hassle that comes with having to ask people for id, if i had a quid for everytime i had been called a "fat slag" for refusing to sell alcohol to someone with no ID i would be very rich.