Opticians Withholding PD (Pupillary Distance) Reading

Since when did the FoI act apply to D&H?

Possibly the poster meant the DPA? I'm not sure that the FoI applies to D+A either :)

I don't think that your PD is classified as personal info - so they wouldnt have to supply it either.

I suppose the way forward is to ask in advance of the test if they will supply the PD measurement and if they won't then go to another optician.

I was thinking of doing this then buying glasses online from Glasses Direct. I can see that the regular offline opticians feel protective towards their trade and in many cases won't want to supply the information, but this is all part of a wider conflict between offline and online shops thats happening right now. People will use a shop's showroom to look for what they want then go back home and look for a better price online.

What's the solution for the future?

I don't think that your PD is classified as personal info - so they wouldnt have to supply it either.

What a shame as it just makes some opticians look like self-serving profiteering monopolistic bandits really doesn't it. Actually I think the PD measurement could be classed as personal data given the description within the DPA, so I might try that route next

It's not personally identifying info.

My PD is 64mm. Try and ID me from that....

Have a listen to the debate about pd measurements on last weeks Radio 4 Your and Yours programme bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009fnxz

and sign the petition to change the law givememypd.epeititions.net

there are almost 2000 signatures now.

Alternatively get a FREE PD Ruler from metsuki.com metsuki.com/pupillary_distance-free_pd_ruler.php and measure your pd yourself

I suppose the way forward is to ask in advance of the test if they will supply the PD measurement and if they won't then go to another optician.

I was thinking of doing this then buying glasses online from Glasses Direct. I can see that the regular offline opticians feel protective towards their trade and in many cases won't want to supply the information, but this is all part of a wider conflict between offline and online shops thats happening right now. People will use a shop's showroom to look for what they want then go back home and look for a better price online.

Re my bold, and IMO.

I think we'll see the high street opticians moving away from their current "cheap eyetest / expensive glasses" business model, towards an "at cost or even expensive eye test / very cheap glasses" model.

Opticians need to invest in very expensive hardware in order to do eye tests, as well as a lot of study to qualify. The true costs of eye tests will therefore be high. Historically, many high street opticians have marketed the eye test as a loss leader, to get customers through the door. The true cost of the often "Free" eye test is then recovered through a pair of glasses being sold for £100+. It's clear from companies such as Glasses Direct (from where I've bought several pairs) that the true cost of manufacturing glasses is just a few pounds.

The high street outlets will always have the cost of their premises as well as the testing equipment and so cannot truly compete with the online suppliers in terms of the price they charge for glasses. I reckon that their best bet, from their business point of view is to vastly increase the price of the part of their service that the online outlets cannot provide, ie the eye test itself. They could then sell the glasses for a similar price to the online stores, or even give glasses away free with every eye test.

The risk is that people will do without the tests completely, and in effect self diagnose, like they do now with reading glasses. This leaves us with the risk of other health issues not being diagnosed (eg glaucoma). I think that the shops will then strongly advertise the necessity of having a test, for health reasons.

For reasons that most struggle to fathom, myself included, many in the optical industry offer an eye test for less than it costs to perform so they depend on you buying specs.

In fact if you buy specs from your optician you are probably supplementing the cost of the eye tests of people who don't need specs.

The future will be (or should be) an increase in the eye test cost and a freedom to buy specs from where ever you want.

Edited by 1stopglasses

For reasons that most struggle to fathom, myself included, many in the optical industry offer an eye test for less than it costs to perform so they depend on you buying specs.

In fact if you buy specs from your optician you are probably supplementing the cost of the eye tests of people who don't need specs.

The future will be (or should be) an increase in the eye test cost and a freedom to buy specs from where ever you want.

Is the cost of an eye test not fixed by the government? I was under the impression it was, though I could be wrong.

Is the cost of an eye test not fixed by the government? I was under the impression it was, though I could be wrong.

Some people get a 'free' eye test paid for by the govt (or the taxpayer if you prefer).

The govt decide how much they will pay for this but opticians can charge what they like for a private eye test.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll book an eye test, but ask first whether my PD will be included in the information I am given. If it's not I'll try elsewhere.