Wartime Frecheville

I lived in Frechville from the 50's upto about 71. If I am following your description correctly the door is/ was to the right of a driveway going into a carpark on the right of the centre. I believe it was originally a bombshelter for the adjacent house - put it this way my mates & I got a flea in the ear from the bloke that lived there for messing about in his garden. Bizzare what you sometimes remember isn't it!

The lady talking about her father & grandfather is correct about their cricketing reputation, spent many hours watching them play.

This is fasinating! I've lived on Freceville (Bottom end) for 5 years now and I find all this local history brilliant. Apparently there is an old boy who lives near me who knows everything there is to know about this area. I hear he has found an old roman/viking sword in his back garden which is held in Weston Park meuseam.

What I have heard is that Freceville gets its' name from a Norman duke who helped William the Conqueror and was given land in this area as a reward. The builders of the estate learned of this and decided to name it after him. Don't ask me if it is true or not though

Heard the same story about the name myself, think there is another earlier post on its origins.

Couple of questions

- where is this ''bottom end'' never heard the term before.

- do they still fish in the pond behind the centre?

Sorry, by 'Bottom End' I mean down towards Normanton Springs rather than up towards the shops.

my mum has lived in Frecheville most of her life and has always said it was meant to be built a bit like a French Village with the trees lining each road side

yes they still fish there

I have a few of my Dads photos from Frecheville Carnival, early 60's. Problem is don't know how to put them on here.

We have always referred to the part of Frecheville that is downhill from Birley Moor Road as "the bottom side", its just geographical rather than derogatory.

There is a book about Hackenthorpe & surrounding areas & my picture is in it - my only claim to fame!

- do they still fish in the pond behind the centre?

Yes they still fish in the pond.

Thanks for that on the air-raid shelter, glad it wasn't just memory playing tricks on me.

Does anyone know anything about the Frechville Towns womens guild??

My Dad is a Frechevillean, and I was born (1966), bred and is still there, and I also call myself a Frechevillean when people ask where I live. Does anyone remember the little shop where the garages used to be at the top of thornbridge drive? a lot of people seem to forget that it was there. My grandad used to tell me when I was young that they was a giant plug in the middle of the pond! I always thought he was pulling me leg, until recently I was watching a documentry about this lake, the council was clearing it out and was searching for the plug, and they found it too! My dad used to tell me that a small part of the pond was made as a paddling pool. Remember the millstones which originally built the pond up? We used to skate on the pond in the winter..then get chased off by the cops, I remember a old relation to a friend of mine walked across the pond while visiting without realising she was walking across a pond! seeing it was covered with ice and snow!

Hi im new to this so not sure what im doing, but i just wanted to let you know that Dennis Marsden is my mums cousin, she was also on the pantomime her name then was Susan Thorpe (now Rodgers), she has lived on the Frecheville estate (Hopefield Avenue) for the last 30 years. I (Helen Longden - nee Rodgers) was also on the panto around 15 years ago and now my 6 year old daughter has just joined and had her first rehersal for this years panto which is Goldilocks and the three bears

Hi - I've only just found this thread and have recently been trying to find some info on Frecheville.

I went to Frecheville Infant School in 1959/60, even though I lived on Quarry Vale (at the bottom of the hill) because my doctor classed it as a 'fresh air school'.

I remember some of the teachers - Miss Beale (who loved cats and was as wacky as..) Miss Selby the headmistress (who hit me because I wouldn't eat my tomato at lunch time!). Mrs Maxwell with red hair - doing a handstand in her dress - you can imagine the view!!

I don't remember the pantomime but I do remember a ballet coming to perform in the assembly room - it was The Red Shoes - not sure if I am imagining that it had Moira Shearer!

The last time I visited was 1982 and took some photos - I didn't get time last year when I was there. Does the School still exist?

After that I went to the new Frecheville Junior School - at the bottom of the hill.

Mr Sykes taught there also and so did Mrs Sykes and I think at least one of the their children went there.

I have a nativity play photo which I think is from the infant school - I can remember some of the names - Linda Cundy, Stephen Fish, Sean (shaun?) Barnes. When I find the photo again I might remember some more names.