Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Yes - 'watch', with the 'a' pronounced as in 'watter'. There's also 'toneet' as in the question "otter gooin' aht toneet?" And then o' cooerce, when it's dark tha puts thi 'leet' on..

'Siddi" can also be 'sithi' - from "see thee".

Stick this into your browser bar .... http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=IEFM1&q=Ally+Sloper&src=IE-SearchBox ... lots of different sites including a Wiki entry about it. Never had heard of it myself but it started in 1884 according to the site :)

hiya natjack seeing your name brought back some memories of an old music hall comedian i remember seeing in the 40s 50s his name was nat jackley he had a long neck but he was funny it was the time of frank randle and the like.not suggesting this is you of course but its odd how a thing can start the memory banks to start up. cheers and thanks

Edited by willybite

My mate bought a new car, a 4 litre. 2 big leets at front and 2 little leets at back.

Another one from way back,Dumbchuck,someone who says something silly.

5546385]Another old saying was a tuppny tustard tut in two' date='[/b'] what does anyone know what it means? and not often am reight but am wrong again.

OMG:hihi::hihi: I haven't heard that for year and years , I had completly forgotten that. As i've said before, it's such a shame that these old expressions are dying out:sad:

Edited by mrs grissom
my mistake with bolding

OMG:hihi::hihi: I haven't heard that for year and years , I had completly forgotten that. As i've said before, it's such a shame that these old expressions are dying out:sad:

hiya i think it was a slang expression when food was scarce, to ask for in a pastry shop, a two penny custard pie, can you cut it in two please.

another was he's got such a big scope, his mother fetches 10 pounds ur taiters in is cap.

about this one i don't think it's been mentioned, wy dunt tha tek the ook.geeor wilda, wen tha wer up tha wer up, wen tha wer daarn tha wer daarn, wen tha wer ony aif way up tha wer neether up nor daarn.dusta no dat geein mi a heeard ake,fill de face an stop yappin,nay wats tha mekerit, ar dont mek owt orit,sithe ear al telthe worram torkin abart

if tha wants owt ask fer it if tha dunt ask tha dunt want owt,weers ta bin,arv bin lukin orlor fo thee,wy dunt tha shut de trap an gee ita rest,

Edited by willybite

Remember when coke, lemonade etc etc was called pop and the pop man used to deliver it to your door?

hiya i remember after the war when tizer started to appear in shops i don't think it was made during the war mind you it was about the price of a pint of beer, mum would make a drink of ginger beer as you could buy a ginger beer plant to make your own,i think you put the plant in a container to ferment, when it was finished you could save the dregs and start it off again, or pass them on to your friends or relatives mind after a while it got a bit too much.

remember that song... gilligillihosenfeffer casinellabogen by the sea i know its not sheffield slang but i remember my aunts singing it in the 40s, a little later it was down in old kentucky where horseshoes are lucky, my pal at school was always whistling this tune this was popular on what we called steam radio before it was just plain wireless.

never know someone might read this thread next thing we'll hear them in totps,

Edited by willybite

hiya i remember after the war when tizer started to appear in shops i don't think it was made during the war mind you it was about the price of a pint of beer, mum would make a drink of ginger beer as you could buy a ginger beer plant to make your own,i think you put the plant in a container to ferment, when it was finished you could save the dregs and start it off again, or pass them on to your friends or relatives mind after a while it got a bit too much.

It was a ginger root and you used to feed it on yeast & sugar, I think..

Another saying I remember, don't know where it came from, could have been the radio," NO SPEAKA D LINGO "....

If I'm asked to do something which I don't want to do I always say "Am I eckerslike" but I've no idea where the word comes from.

If I'm asked to do something which I don't want to do I always say "Am I eckerslike" but I've no idea where the word comes from.

This was one of my dad's favourites as well. It's "...heck as like" from heck.

Is gaggin a Sheffield word ? I remember we were always GAGGIN for a pint....

is gaggin a sheffield word ? I remember we were always gaggin for a pint....

lol or gaspin'