Connecting to Virginmedia (Blueyonder) Email on iPhone

I have a new phone which has email and web capabilities.

Most net functions work fine, but I cannot get email (either incoming nor outgoing) to work.

I'm pretty sure I've entered the right settings for smpt and pop3 servers, bu the phone says that both are unavailable or unable to connect.

Anyone else have this problem and (better still!) a solution. I suspect that the VM tech support will tell me they can't advise about connecting phones!

Do they use non-standard ports for mail retreival? What phone is it? Do you have the right GPRS/3G settings?

It's an iPhone.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the first and last questions! I imported the settings directly from iTunes.

Generally with mobile devices IMAP is the way to go rather than POP3, try setting the account up as IMAP if you can?

Generally with mobile devices IMAP is the way to go rather than POP3, try setting the account up as IMAP if you can?

Yes, I think you may be right... Would this account for the problems with both incoming AND outgoing mail?

I'll give this a try and will put another message on here if I'm still having trouble.

Thanks for your help.

Now you mention it I'm not sure if IMAP uses SMTP for outgoing or not... More ISPs seem to be blocking the normal SMTP port (port 25) to cut down on spam. Do you get any error message on sending?

Assuming that you're connecting by wi-fi then the settings you use in your normal mail client should work for any device's mail account, however without specific error messages to google then it's all speculation really. No outgoing mail may simply be server authentication (most common "I can't send" fix with people who ring with problems using Outlook)

Now you mention it I'm not sure if IMAP uses SMTP for outgoing or not... More ISPs seem to be blocking the normal SMTP port (port 25) to cut down on spam. Do you get any error message on sending?

Assuming that you're connecting by wi-fi then the settings you use in your normal mail client should work for any device's mail account, however without specific error messages to google then it's all speculation really. No outgoing mail may simply be server authentication (most common "I can't send" fix with people who ring with problems using Outlook)

Still no joy. I'm using both Wifi and 3G, depending what's available.

I think the iPhone should handle either imap or POP3 just fine. I think the problem may be due to trying to use email from outside the Virginmedia network - so this is an authentication issue? I'm don't really understand authentication, and which settings to use - but doesn't this apply to SMTP only, so doesn't effect incoming mail?

You should configure your incoming to "mail.blueyonder.co.uk" and your username and password the same as your outlook express uses (assuming you use your blueyonder email)

the outgoing would be whatever 'open' smtp server you can find, OR contact your mobile provider (assuming O2) for thier outgoing SMTP server details, this would work for WAP/3G, for WiFi it would depend on the connection you are using at the time.

I've tried both pop3.blueyonder.co.uk and mail.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming mail without success. (My computer uses the former).

How do I go about finding an open smtp server? On my computer this is set to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

(Incidentally I use Entourage on a Mac rather than Outlook on a PC, but I guess that doesn't make any difference.)

You should configure your incoming to "mail.blueyonder.co.uk" and your username and password the same as your outlook express uses (assuming you use your blueyonder email)

the outgoing would be whatever 'open' smtp server you can find, OR contact your mobile provider (assuming O2) for thier outgoing SMTP server details, this would work for WAP/3G, for WiFi it would depend on the connection you are using at the time.

upon further research..

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming pop3, not secure (no SSL), and login required. mine works fine using this setting.

As for outgoing, I stand by what I said, Your PC uses smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for outgoing because they are your ISP, you can only use the BY SMTP if you are on a BY connection, thats why you need to use O2's, Set outgoing to smtp.o2.co.uk

Still nothing.

The iPhone has an automated system for setting up a new account. You just put in your email address and password and it's supposed to do the rest.

It comes up with imap4.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming mail (and then can't access it) and smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for outgoing (ditto). Is the smtp setting was wrong, wouldn't you expect the pone to be smart enough to know that it's already on an O2 connection?

upon further research..

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming pop3, not secure (no SSL), and login required. mine works fine using this setting.

As for outgoing, I stand by what I said, Your PC uses smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for outgoing because they are your ISP, you can only use the BY SMTP if you are on a BY connection, thats why you need to use O2's, Set outgoing to smtp.o2.co.uk

im sure you can set it manually, if not, thats just one more reason not to get an iphone,