Swimming lessons - recommendations??

he has a web page called 'DJR swim school' with all his details on there, just been tonight and my little one has just took his last armbands off yay! like you say its nice he's in the water with them and your right at the side as i find nothing worse than my kids in water especially the young ones, there has been moments at other baths ive used where ive seen my kid struggling and the instructor on the side oblivious and your behind glass in the spector area, horrible feeling. You dont really come across instructors in the pool anymore so i find this great for little ones and older ones too who are starting out.

My son started at Dronfield when he was 3, but once he started school in septembet, we swapped to eckington as its nearer to our home. I am not happy at all there so we are putting him into Myrtle springs academy as I have heard good things from there.

:hihi:You could also try Dave Lambert on 07748113999 he is a swimming teacher and also my father in law

Hi,we use DJR at Brunswick and couldn't recomend it enough. I have 3 girls there who are doing well. I also have a disabled grandson who has lessons and he loves it. David is wonderful with them, professional, strict but fair. For the younger ones it's almost like playing as the kids learn with nursery rhymes. My youngest can put her head under water now which also makes hair washing easier in the bath. I used to get soaked while trying to wet her hair as she paniced. The kids don't realise that the songs and actions give them confidence in the water. He is in the water and if you want to get in too that's ok. My 2 older girls are in the gala training which involves timing and propper swimming strokes. It's tiring but keeps them fit. The pool is small and shallow at Brunswick, not overwhelming for the kids. Give them a ring, we aren't disappointed with them, very impressed.

I don't know where in Sheffield you live so I don't know if this would be viable for you but my son goes to The Swin School in New Whittington Chesterfield. It is a small pool but the tuition is very good. The class is split into 2 with 6 children per instructor and the instructors are in the pool with the children. It is £75 for the first 10 week block (you get a welcome pack with this), then £65 (£60 if you pay week eight) for the next ten week block. Had it recommended by lots of people.

We go here too, and have to say after Ponds Forge and Dronfield, these have been the best lessons so far. More expensive but so worth it. The staff are encouraging and very positive with the children and reward them frequently. The only downside, it's very hot in there!!! The best ones we've found so far, highly recommended.

ponds forge is absolutely dreadful, my daughter started her lessons there 6 weeks ago, she went once, there were too many children, the instructor was apalling, they were poorly taught, I could go on and on, my friend had started her daughter the same time, and shes a swimming instructor herself but just didnt want to teach her own daughter, and she was furious and disgusted at the quality of the lesson. We complained bitterly and got our money back.

I was talking to a friend last night and he was saying something similar about the lessons for his boy. There are about 15 kids in the group, and they have them swim individually across the pool, so most of the time is spent waiting at the edge...

He doesn't want to teach him himself because when kids are in the pool with their parents they just want to play, not learn.

My son has started at Aston Lodge School and he loves it.

It is £5 per 30 minute lesson and you pay in half term blocks. There are 2 instructors who get in the pool and there are 8/9 kids per session, so it isn't too long between their turns.

The pool is warm and it is small (10m x 5m - i think) and you can sit right at the pool side on a stool.

My son is 4 and was a bit dubious of whether he would get in without me, but he did and after 3 lessons is already confident of the water. He has jumped in and swam a length of the pool with a swim fin following the instructor down the pool :)

My brother is at Brunswick as well and loves it. Hes getting a bit big for it now so hopefully will be moving him on to a "proper" pool at some point, but they've done an absolutely fabulous job of building up his confidence. At first he wouldn't even get his hair wet - and now when we take him swimming he tries to sit on the pool bottom! Cannot recommend enough.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to this question. Wow, what a lot of glowing recommendations for DJR at Brunswick. I think we have a winner! I have contacted him to see if he has any spaces. :)

My lo is non confident in the water so i want somewhere where i dont have to go in the water with her & not too over powering (full)

What is Hillsborough leisure centre or Hoyland like for that. is there usually a waiting list as well ? She is coming up to 5 in the next couple of weeks.

can they wear armbands or something

thanks

swimming lessons for children at medispa the introduction of swimming is conducted in a fun way gaining water confidence is a skill for life. small groups of 2-4 provides a uniques setting allowing one to one time for each child in a warm therapy pool. ideal for children who need to learn the basics before formal lessons are taken.

check out kiddzclasses on the web

enroling now for september 2012

Swim Sheffield offers a range of swimming lessons from 6 month year olds to adults.

Hillsborough Leisure Centre offers a great swimming lesson programme and currently is taking on children for stage 1 lessons which it sounds like your child needs. Hillsborough run's to the ASA National Swimming Lesson Scheme and ensures that your child becomes confident in the water as well as developing skills at the child's pace so that they do not feel over whelmed.

I would suggest you call Debbie the swimming co-ordinator at Hillsborough to discuss on 0114 231 8133.

Swim Sheffield also offers lessons at Concord Sports Centre, Graves Tennis & Leisure Centre, Heeley Swimming Pool, Ponds Forge, Springs Leisure Centre, Stocksbridge Leisure Centre and Westfield Sports Centre.

Thanks