Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Pulled out an old DVD last night Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Forgot how hilarious it was. Terence Stamp and his Aussie mates play great "ladies" and the miming to diva songs is amazing Got to be 9/10 for me, but may not suit everyone.

Pulled out an old DVD last night Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Forgot how hilarious it was. Terence Stamp and his Aussie mates play great "ladies" and the miming to diva songs is amazing Got to be 9/10 for me, but may not suit everyone.

Love that film and the play as well. Saw it with Jason Donovan a few years ago. Wonderful!

I agree that his deeds are documented but this film especially the first half has a great deal of fiction in it and has been Hollywood-ised to sell. Doss was married before he was sent away so didn't miss the wedding day, he was not dragged out of bed an beaten, his wife was not a Nurse, his father did not intervene as portrayed. He did not prey with soldiers around him before ascending the ridge, he did not lower any Japanese soldiers down. Undoubtedly he was outstandingly brave but the film, as said added a lot of fiction to bulk it out. I'm always wary when a film state its based on real events.

But it was a Gibson film and look how accurate Brave-heart was..

These are trivial points about Hacksaw Ridge and in no way invalidate its quality as an outstanding film - and as one of the very best (and most accurate) portrayals of the savage nature of the fighting in the Pacific war.

Regarding the first part of the film, the portrayal of Doss as a modest, polite but determined conscientious objector and a man of faith is definitely true, as is the central role of his wife in his life, both before he entered military service and subsequently. There is an old 'This is Your Life' programme about Doss (available on youtube), in which he appears with his wife and child and also with some of his old comrades and superior officers who praise him to the skies for his bravery. Doss comes across as modest and unassuming, but also a man of faith, as portrayed in the film.

But it is the second part of the film (i.e. the fighting on Okinawa) which makes it so memorable and which makes it one of the very best films ever made in this genre. Gibson has been criticised for focusing too much on the blood and gore in the battle scenes. However, if you read the memoirs of soldiers who actually fought in the Pacific war, you would realise that Gibson had good reason for doing so. For example, if you read the famous book by Eugene Sledge, called 'With the Old Breed', which recounts his experience as an infantryman in the battles of of Pelelliu and Okinawa, Gibson's film rings very true. The savagery of the fighting, much of it at close quarters as told by Sledge is almost unbelievable. For example, the Japanese relied heavily on heavy mortars, capable of ripping human bodies to pieces, as shown in Gibson's film (rather than being wounded in mentionable places, as in many Hollywood films). Moreover, the cruelties inflicted by Japanese soldiers on captured marines is well-documented in Sledge's account, as is the desperate hand to hand fighting between the two sides, again well captured by Gibson in this remarkable film.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 15:46 ----------

Toni Erdmann 7/10

This film is long and ponderous, but deserves seeing (although you will probably either love or hate it). It is a German comedy (yes, there are such things - remember Goodbye Lenin?).

It has echoes of 'About Schmidt', but with a different story line, and centres on a retiree seemingly obsessed with his daughter who is climbing up the corporate ladder. He seems determined to embarrass his daughter by turning up at her workplaces in odd costumes.

I thought it was too long, but it is worth staying to the end, if only for the naked party scene in the latter part of the film.

Edited by NigelFargate

The Girl on the Train 8/10

Really enjoyed it. Id only seen a few brief reviews so had no idea what to expect and didnt really see any of it coming.

Great acting from Emily Blunt as Rachel - the girl on the train.

Love & Mercy - 6.5/10 - Biopic of Beach Boy Brian Wilson and his problems with his physicist Eugene Landy who possibly made his mental issues worse, Wilson is played by two actors (Paul Dano and John Cusack) as the film flits between the 60's and the 80's Dano plays the better role. Obviously contains some very good music.

John Wick 2 - 7/10 - It's good, but silly, sillier than the first one, and in the nature of sequels, not quite as good.

Hacksaw Ridge 10/10

Brilliant film. Violent and gory, yet emotional and thought provoking.

Drive. 10 out of 10:D

I'm so glad that bloke didn't die in the end!

I, Daniel Blake 9/10

Really powerful performances from the 2 main characters (Daniel & Katie)

I know theres been a lot of reviews saying its not a true representation of the system etc, but even if it represents 1 persons experience its too many.

From a personal point of view, Katies story really put things into perspective. Made me think how lucky I actually am.

Bit of a John Hughes fest today:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 8/10 - John Candy and Steve Martin in great form in a fantastic comedy.

The Breakfast Club - 6.5/10 - A little more serious this one but still a good watch.

Bit of a John Hughes fest today:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 8/10 - John Candy and Steve Martin in great form in a fantastic comedy.

The Breakfast Club - 6.5/10 - A little more serious this one but still a good watch.

When my brother and I were young, every time we had the chance we'd alternate between watching The Breakfast Club and Ferris Buellers Day Off. I dread to think how many times we watched them.

I have teenage boys now who also love them both :)

Drive. 10 out of 10:D

I'm so glad that bloke didn't die in the end!

Is that the Ryan Gosling film ?