Chapeltown market

That's all that's there ! Is the egg stall still there ? There used to be loads of stalls and lots of clothes stalls, one selling household stuff such as domestos, washing up liquid etc.,which stood outside the club.

the household stall is still there

I once did a carboot in what was shadlows grounds and this guy bought most of my books for next to nowt. The next week they were all on his stall in the market at greatly inflated prices

The card stall is still there too and theres a stall selling cakes/buns, eggs etc. Also a stall selling pet supplies (dog baskets/hutches etc)...so it's not that bad lol!

i live just up the road from the market and i don't even bother with it any more, the fruit & veg stall and the sweet shop ( if they still exist) are about as good as chap market gets these days, as previously said there was a 2nd hand stall, there was a shoe / trainer stall, tools, 2nd hand baby goods and clothing, make up & hair products cards, socks and under crackers, and a few more.

One of my mates worked on a stall and i asked her why they don't open more often as its only open tuesdays and fridays or even have a car boot / jumble sale type thing on a weekend, if i remember correctly she said it was to do with the rents and also the lack of parking.

I'd love to see chap market with a bit of va va voom, its such a shame to have the market stalls empty 5 out of the 7 days!

under crackers,

Didnt they used to have a massive pair of y fronts for comedy value in the under crackers stall?

i think the sweet stall woman has changed a couple of times in the past few years

Didnt they used to have a massive pair of y fronts for comedy value in the under crackers stall?

YES! I remember my husband offering to buy them for me for my birthday :suspect:

edit - I'm sure they were huge ladies undies - cos I once told my mum they'd be ideal for her lol

Edited by honeyb35
forgot something

The birthday card man is spot on. Loads of Simon Elvin cards for a 3rd of the price you'd buy in the normal shops.

The stalls which are there are good, just that its not as good as it was 10 years ago.

Always thought they should run a 2nd hand/antique type thing as well, similar to Hoyland.

Jim

YES! I remember my husband offering to buy them for me for my birthday :suspect:

edit - I'm sure they were huge ladies undies - cos I once told my mum they'd be ideal for her lol

I was sure they were Y fronts cos it said big boy on them or something? might be my mind getting old tho :hihi:

Who owns/runs the land the market is on? Seems it could be put to better use than a long past its heyday market that only seems to open for a few hours a week?

No need to have a market in Chap. Asda sell everything you could ever need. Including pork that comes from Germany. The reason they sell pork so cheaply is that it comes from Germany. Absolutely unbelievable.