What are the concrete structures at Stacey Bank (below Damflask) ?

We`ve just come back from a walk around Storrs Bridge bleow Damflask.

Does anyone know what the large concrete tank like structure (just below the dam itself) is for and is it still used ?

From a distance it looks like a castle !

Even more unusual is the concrete structure in the field about 100yds further on. We couldn`t work out what that was for at all. It looked like it had slots for a gate to be dropped into, like on canal locks, but there was no wall either side of it, so, curiouser and curiouser.....

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/favouritepictures.html#WhatIsThis

Finally, what`s happening with all those old industrial buildings which look like they`ve been empty for years ?

Edited by Justin Smith

I always wondered what that was myself. I believe it was some sort of water storage facility, but why it is there, I have no idea. It seems to be in a state of disuse as there are trees and plants growing from inside it.

No idea about the structure you mentioned. I haven't seen it.

As for the old brick yard/factory. There are fences up all over the site with the name of a house building company written upon them. It would suggest that it will be knocked down and the site switched to housing.

that Castle is the old overflow i dont know what the other thing is can't remember seeing it

We`ve just come back from a walk around Storrs Bridge bleow Damflask.

Does anyone know what the large concrete tank like structure (just below the dam itself) is for and is it still used ?

From a distance it looks like a castle !

Even more unusual is the concrete structure in the field about 100yds further on. We couldn`t work out what that was for at all. It looked like it had slots for a gate to be dropped into, like on canal locks, but there was no wall either side of it, so, curiouser and curiouser.....

Finally, what`s happening with all those old industrial buildings which look like they`ve been empty for years ?

I know this thing; my best guess is that it was part of a sheep-dip set up or something similar, perhaps with metal railings and so on, the boards being dropped in to seperate out one lot of animals from another.

No idea about the structure you mentioned. I haven't seen it.

It`s about 100yds or so further down just by the river, on the same side.

I know this thing; my best guess is that it was part of a sheep-dip set up or something similar, perhaps with metal railings and so on, the boards being dropped in to seperate out one lot of animals from another.

We wondered that but it`s very thick concrete for that, and the material looks like an age and (poor) quality like the pillboxes thrown up in WW2.

We even speculated if it were anything to do with anti aircraft defences, you know after our our raid on their dams ? ! ?

It`s about 100yds or so further down just by the river, on the same side.

I will look next time I am down that way.

Right, I`ve taken a picture of said structure and it`s located here :

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/favouritepictures.html#WhatIsThis

Any one know what it is ? ! ?

Having looked at your picture, it looks like the concrete structure once had some sort of barrier that slid down the middle. Going on the shape of the object, it could be that the structure was flanked on both sides by earth mounds (making a barrier) and thus making it some sort of flood barrier. I could be wrong :confused:

Having looked at your picture, it looks like the concrete structure once had some sort of barrier that slid down the middle. Going on the shape of the object, it could be that the structure was flanked on both sides by earth mounds (making a barrier) and thus making it some sort of flood barrier. I could be wrong :confused:

Could be......

Could be......

Without looking in great detail at the site, it is hard to tell. I will try and have a closer look next time I am out that way :)

Without looking in great detail at the site, it is hard to tell. I will try and have a closer look next time I am out that way :)

I think your idea of a flood sluice but with the surrounding earth barriers removed sounds plausible.

It`s the only thing that seems to make sense !