Housing benefit? how does it get paid? to you or landlord?

Yeah thats the problem she is having not enough ID She has lived with parents all her life so has no utility bills, no photo id only thing she has is a few letters from child benefit which she has now been told she can use, i think she has got it sorted now as i haven't heard from her since yesterday so im just wishing her good luck.

I just wanted to say she has finally got a bank account sorted with nat west, she says thanks for all the replys x

Does anyone know how payments are made to landlords. Is it by bank transfer or cheque

Does anyone know how payments are made to landlords. Is it by bank transfer or cheque

Bank transfer.....

I have a HB claimant through Housing Solutions and they arranged for the rent paid direct.

I would strongly advise your friend to arrange payment to be made direct. Some people find it hard to manage money.

She Will have to request it on the HB form and give a good reason. Not being able to manage money is one. You can make something up like gambling as another.

The down side is you get the rent every 28 day but in arrears not up front.

Vulnerable people can request their HB to be paid directly to the landlord. Examples include people with drug or alcohol issues, limited English, mental health issues, gambling addictions, a history of homelessness, learning disabilities or affordability issues.

Otherwise it is paid to the tenant via their bank account. When completing the HB form online it asks if you have a bank account and if not brings up a number for you to call.

Dread to imagine the chaos that Universal Credit will bring.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 12:03 ----------

Sorry, but thats wrong, my housing benefit gets paid straight to my landlord because thats the way they prefer it, and im happy with that also, nothing to do with drugs etc.

It's changed now. If you agreed prior to the change to have HB paid directly to the landlird, they'll honour that agreement but for new claimants you have state a reason as to why you can't manage your own finances.

Edited by Nicotrod

A friend of mine had something called a basic bank account I believe people can very often get these even with bad credit rating.

A friend of mine had something called a basic bank account I believe people can very often get these even with bad credit rating.

Lloyds do one which can be set up online. Barclays even do one for bankrupts...