Simvastatin...Are you taking them?

If you are taking these you will know there for lowering chorestrol.

This is the heart wonder drug that has been on the media today.

I am now taking this as my chorestrol was 6.9 which is high but not dangerously high according to the doc.

I am on a " mission " to get it below 4.0.

I have now been on them for 6 weeks and due another chorestrol check in April so I can't tell you how much these are working until then.

Is there anyone out there taking this and if so have they made aa difference to you.

6.9 is high mate. They are suggesting it should be under 4 according to the latest research. I presume you're on 'atorvastatin' or similar at the moment.

I am normally under 4 when its checked but I've been misbehaving recently so expect it to have risen this coming check up :)

6.9 is high mate. They are suggesting it should be under 4 according to the latest research. I presume you're on 'atorvastatin' or similar at the moment.

I am normally under 4 when its checked but I've been misbehaving recently so expect it to have risen this coming check up :)

Nope i'm on the one I have mentioned.

Chorestrol is not all related to a bad diet.

I am /was and will be again very athletic and my chorestrol is due to family history or gene related.

My diet has always been good.

If your parents had high chorestrol then you should have yours checked.

The link is very high.

If you are taking these you will know there for lowering chorestrol.

This is the heart wonder drug that has been on the media today.

I am now taking this as my chorestrol was 6.9 which is high but not dangerously high according to the doc.

I am on a " mission " to get it below 4.0.

I have now been on them for 6 weeks and due another chorestrol check in April so I can't tell you how much these are working until then.

Is there anyone out there taking this and if so have they made aa difference to you.

i have been taking these in 40mg doses since last april along with a junior asprin each day,each check up i have shows that they have reduced my chorestrol levels, so keep taking them cycleracer and good luck.

I am take Simvastatin, cycleracer, a dose of 20mg per day.

I was admitted to hospital, as an emergency in 2003, with Heart Arrhythmia and spent about 14 days having treatment. Throughout this period, I was wearing a constant heart-monitoring device with radio transmission to the Cardiac Centre a few corridors away from my bed in a general ward. Very scary!

I won't go into all the details here but after discharge, I was not prescribed Simvastatin. I was having problems with one of the drugs affecting the results of the Warfarin I was taking. I was readmitted for a further 10 days to wean me off the offending drug, which was replaced with Digoxin.

After an Angiogram, as an outpatient, I was given the Simvastatin, and take it daily, in addition to the Digoxin and the other concoctions of tablets.

I had a letter from my GP the other day, requiring me have a blood test to check my cholesterol levels. This is the first time in two years I had been asked for a check since early 2004.

Much later on I was told that at the time of the 2003 hospital episode I had a "Silent Heart Attack". I have never been informed of my cholesterol level at any time...I shall make sure I know it from now on!

I am so grateful to the Hospital Staff at Rotherham General, I can't praise them enough.

Now I can tell you although we have never met, and we have crossed swords on SF a couple of times, I was so very concerned upon hearing you were admitted to hospital with suspected heart problems.

The message sent to you through SF was one of genuine concern, and I am pleased your diagnosis was favourable.

wasn't the drug mentioned in the news not simvastatin , but rosuvastatin ? are these 2 drugs the same ?

it was - as for the condition , mine is down to my kidney condition and the fact I'm diabetic too and that the two different treatments for my conditions fight each other - so makes for some interesting days and nights :)

I have been taking Simvastatin, 40mg, for a few years now following angioplasty in 1992ish. I go for blood/cholesterol checks every year and have just this morning phoned the surgery to get my last results. They came back normal so I'm told with no need to make an appointment to see the doc at the present time. Last year, I was 4.8, so I take it thats what was meant by normal, so I'm quite pleased about that.

The thing is, my mother died of heart disease, aged only 60. I shall be 64 next week...she never got the chance of surgery or statins prior to her death in 79 cos they probably didn't exist then, so they MUST be doing me some good and I did smoke for a while as well.:gag:

Good luck with yours.

wasn't the drug mentioned in the news not simvastatin , but rosuvastatin ? are these 2 drugs the same ?

I think "statins" are the family name as it were. Mine are actually Simvador but they are Simvastatins.

count me in the simavastin club... only on a 20 mg dose, at the mo, mind you....

high cholesterol :rolleyes: with high blood pressure, and :gag: diabetic to boot.. my doc thinks I'm a stroke waiting to happen! (And prob'ly righly so!)

PT

Guest teebee

I am supposed to take simvastatin, but.... i never was very good at doing what i am told. I recently had to change doctors, and had to go to see the practise nurse, for a health check, she asked me what my familys medical history was like, i laughed at her and said, flick the switch on the kettle love, this could take a while.

Yep, i'm a member of the Simvastatin club, I started on 40mg but as my cholestorel fell to about 4.5 my dosage was reduced to 20mg, one a day every day. So yes, they seem to be doing their job well.