Local elections

Did you vote today? if not why not? every vote count's and every vote matter's, it doesn't matter who you voted for as long as you voted!

When there is only a forty percent turnout how can there be a fair representation of opinion to decide who rules us.

Should it be compulsory to vote? what would activate people to get out of their chair, or use the smart card we have all been given.

I didn't vote because I'm away from my registered constituancy. I would have done otherwise.

Originally posted by "halevan"

Should it be compulsory to vote? what would activate people to get out of their chair, or use the smart card we have all been given.

No, because people who don't care shouldn't be forced to vote for someone. If they don't care then their opinion is worthless.

i'm 23 - i didn't vote and never have.

the reason i've never voted is because i don't know enough about the parties to decide which would be best. from what i've seen, they all have their pros and cons.

some people say, "well find out about them then" - but i'm really not interested. whichever party gets in won't really change my life much. if i was in a "different group" (i.e. one that choosing a specific party would make a whole load of difference) then i might be bothered... until then, i'll let the rest of the population decide.

I got a leaflet from the Tory candidate. It said things like "We want better schools, better roads" etc. as if they were hoping that Labour were going to distribute one saying "We want worse schools, and rubbish roads".

The vacuousness of it pretty much convinced me that they stood for absolutley nothing and would have no effect on my life. No one else even bothered canvessing my vote so who am I going to vote for?

No one, that's who.

Unless anyone here can change my mind before polling closes, I'd like to try the online voting thing.

we only got leaflets from the labour bod - so only voted lib dem...

M.

Has anyone heard about the scandal in Bradford in which Tories claim a ballot box was deliberately tampered with and accrording to Tories, votes altered. A Labour MP retained his seat in Bradford by a 178 vote margin.

I voted on the internet. And quick and easy it was too.

The thing about not voting is that you give up any right whatsoever to legitimately complain about your local council and the state of the city. Even if you spoil your ballot by scribbling obscenities, that will be counted. Any councillor elected with less votes than there were spoiled papers is going to look very weak.

In a world where very few people have the right to govern themselves in this (albeit limited) way, I think it is sad to see this right and responsibility squandered due to apathy and disinterest.

With turnout levels low, this is just the sort of opportunity required for local action groups and organisations to field their own candidates and get them elected.

Originally posted by "Sidla"

I didn't vote because I'm away from my registered constituancy. I would have done otherwise.

Could you not have voted by post?

Yeah I suppose so but I couldn't be arsed with the hassel.