Door to door charity collectors - acceptable hours?

A warning to those in the Walkley area - I've just had a collector for a well known charity hammering on my door at almost 8.45pm. With a toddler and a baby (only just) asleep in the house, I was not at all impressed. To his credit, the young man did leave quickly once I explained the situation.

Has anyone else had this? I can't believe that the charity in question is going to attract much support from people being harassed in their homes in the evenings (particularly during an England match!) - or am I just being over sensitive? I do give to charities regularly, but I prefer to make my own decision to do so without being bothered on my own doorstep!

I don't appreciate people knocking on my door trying to sell stuff or collecting for charity at any time let alone late in the evenings so you're not alone. A couple of years ago I had a similar caller, it was almost dark and a horrible winters night tipping down with rain. I felt kind of sorry for the girl who (as I thought) was braving a dark, rainy night to support a good cause. As a rule I will never sign up to anything on the door step so I took some info from her to consider but still slightly hacked off at the late hour she called at, I decided to ring the charity to complain ..... only to be told that it was an agency they pay to solicit funding on their behalf and the agency were breaking their agreement with the charity doorstepping so late in the evening. Now I give short shrift to anyone doing similar - i'll choose who I give my hard earned cash to - when it suits me.

We've had them as late as 9pm before. I find no hours as acceptable hours to be perfectly honest. I donate to the charaties I want to, not to be interupted at home by the doorstep ones. I don't trust most of the doorstep charity collectors either so..

I should note we have the yellow sticker on the door, the police one AND a notice we made ourselves. They don't take any notice.

I'm not bothered about the football but think this time of night is unacceptable, if i want to donate i will do so in my own time and to who i want without being pestered.

Was this the British Heart Foundation ? I had them yesterday at 7.20pm. They were doing this last year as a family member had them at a similar time as the op of around 8.30pm. You shouldnt really get anything after 5pm.

We had callers from one well know charity call one night at 9.30. It was winter time and dark and I had not been well the previous night so had not slept well and we decided to have an early night and a read. We had switched everything off downstairs and I was half way up stairs and MrC just ready to come up when the doorbell rang and it was a charity collector, they must have seen the house was in darkness apart from the hallway and landing light when they rang.

To say MrC wasn't happy was an understatement, and the caller left pretty quickly.

Was this the British Heart Foundation ? I had them yesterday at 7.20pm. They were doing this last year as a family member had them at a similar time as the op of around 8.30pm. You shouldnt really get anything after 5pm.

Yes, it was BHF. Can't believe they would sanction door stepping at this time!

It wouldnt have been the charity though

Would have been one of those tin pot marketing agencies who are always advertising saying "10 customer services positions and sales starting tommorrow"

They are not from the 'Charity', they are from a company that represents the Charity. Workers adopt a charity for several weeks and then move on to a different charity. I am told that some charities raise 80% of their income via door knocking.

Yes, it was BHF. Can't believe they would sanction door stepping at this time!

Why not, they call at this time of night to catch the people who are out at work during the daytime, waste of time them knocking on a door during the day when no one is at home.

Try a door notice saying "There is a £20 charge for answering the door to unexpected callers".

If they knock demand the money before you let them talk.

and what about households were there is no one in during the 'working day' ?

as distassteful, but necessary for recruiting donors, D2D is a blaance must be struck and to suggest that 8 or 9 pm is 'grossly unreasonable' isn't realistic , after 9pm now that is unaccptable, as would before 9am