Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

I've had a green bin for a fair while now and it's been useful for grass cuttings etc although I don't think I've ever filled it. Although it's clear that this service is being withdrawn, I've not seen anything specifically mentioned as an alternative, paid for or not. Have I missed something?

Before green bins I used to put it all in the black bin but, even though I reckon I can just about manage fortnightly collections, this appears to be a non-starter as there will not be room.

Would be good if the council could make things a little clearer, if only to minimise the inevitable resultant fly-tipping :roll:

So, has the green bin collection in Sheffield ceased? What are we supposed to be doing with them if they are not to be used?

Anyone reckon the driver will let me on the bus with two green bags full of wet grass and privit cuttings?

Edited by gremlin_mick

dont get this at all if there going to cancell green bins why make black bins every two weeks. we fill our black bin every week (have 2 kids)and recycle everthing we can, they will not be room for the garden waste. if you get a bag and ring to have it collected you should just keep the service once a month. Personally i would just have the service run 2-3 months a year and charge for this (if there struggling). Unfortunatly cant get to tip as i dont drive. I see this leading to a lot of fly tipping or people leaving bags out which will atract rats.

Green bins in Handsworth area.

When they were brought in it was said that they would be introduced all over Sheffield. It was also said they would pay for themselves, with money left over, by composting the green waste and selling it. I seem to remember some publicity about a big warehouse area that they had set up for the composting.

Don't know if anyone saw the 'Eddie Stobart' tv prog a couple of weeks back. There was a truck collected load of green waste and delivered it to a site for composting. There it picked up a load of composted waste for delivery to a packaging firm for putting into sacks for eventual sale to the public. Seems like someone was making green waste collection pay, pity these "???" seem to be unable to do it.

By the way, my green bin was full the day after it was last emptied in November.

Edited by Phili Buster

So, has the green bin collection in Sheffield ceased? What are we supposed to be doing with them if they are not to be used?

Well you can use them to burn your green waste, at least once, maybe twice if your lucky.

what did everyone do before the green waste collection? I'd never heard of it until a few years ago.

Well you can use them to burn your green waste, at least once, maybe twice if your lucky.

what did everyone do before the green waste collection? I'd never heard of it until a few years ago.

Some would have probably composted it if they could and wanted to and the rest no doubt just put it in the black bin for weekly collection. As it stands right now I have no idea what options I have for green waste this year :roll:

Is there a reason why people can't put it in the black bin again then?

I'm not aware of any reason why you can't however with the black bin collection going fortnightly that doesn't leave much room for green waste anymore :(

I rung the council earlier this week about the green bin collection and they said there is a leaflet due to be delivered to everyone in the next week or so about the green bin collection. The council are no longer going to operate the service but Veolia are going to take over the service at a cost. No idea how much this is going to be though! If it is reasonable I'm sure a lot of people will continue to use it.

i read somewere its goin to be 12 pound to collect the green bin

From the Council's point of view, if every one did that, they'd miss their targets for reducing landfill use. As it is, what it means is more fly-tipping.