What is average mileage per year?

Guest bostonaire

Does anyone know what the average milage per year is acceptable when selling a car..it used to be 12000 per year . ie if a car of 2 years old had done less than 24000 it was said to be less than average milage... ive been informed that due to , loops roads, ring roads etc making us travel a little more, that its now around 15000 per year ? can anyone shed any light on this please?

Car leasing firms usually allow 12,000 miles per annum then charge for excess miles....... if that helps...:thumbsup:

You're correct Nightlife, the industry guidelines (for insurance) changed some years ago. I used to work for a large car insurer who classed average mileage as 12k per annum. They changed the definition to 12k to 15k per annum in about 1998 IIRC; this was to reflect the mileage done by Joe Public.

Something to bear in mind if you're considering how to classify a used car is the type and size of the kind you are considering. Average mileage on a 3 yr old Mercedes would normally be higher than a 3 yr old VW Lupo because of the kind of use those cars normally get.

Hope this helps

K.

Also the type of miles is important. Better to have 20,000 motorway miles than 5,000 short journey miles.

No real evidence here but my guestimate would be that people perhaps do not travel much further on average, but spend more time in traffic.

Still increasing engine wear.

Last time I looked in a car price guide (ie Glass') average annual mileage was still classed as 10K.

This was a couple of years ago.

Given you need to know for selling purposes, not insurance, I would suggest you pop into a newsagents and take a look in one of the car price guides (Glass' is the industry standard, although you might only see one of these in a book shop). This is what a prospective private buyer should be using to calculate how much he/she wants to pay, and defiantely what a dealer will be using to price your car.

Just had a nosey in Parker's guide (no pun intended).

They start their pricing on the basis of 10k per year and have a table that reduces/increases the price of the car depending on whether you've done over/under that.

What Car? price guide goes off 12k as being average.

If it's for selling in something like autotrader just put the actual mileage and let Joe Public decide whether it's acceptable or not for the price, age of car etc. When i'm looking for cars it always annoys me when people don't say what the mileage is, makes me think it's going to be high or they've got something to hide.

"Good clean car inside and out, average mileage for age, first to see will buy."

This sort of thing really winds me up. :rant: It's told me nothing about the car.

-PK-

Originally posted by GimmeSomePK

If it's for selling in something like autotrader just put the actual mileage and let Joe Public decide whether it's acceptable or not for the price, age of car etc. When i'm looking for cars it always annoys me when people don't say what the mileage is, makes me think it's going to be high or they've got something to hide.

"Good clean car inside and out, average mileage for age, first to see will buy."

This sort of thing really winds me up. :rant: It's told me nothing about the car.

-PK-

lol

Get over it, some people look at other adverts just so they know what is the normal thing to write.

You are making a fair point though IMO.

Look at other indications of hard wear such as wear on the pedals and on the carpet, assuming it has the original carpets in, same make tyres all round, spare not used, stuff like that. As said 30,000 kilometres of gentle driving is better than 10,000 of hard driving.

Originally posted by BoppinBruce

Look at other indications of hard wear such as wear on the pedals and on the carpet, assuming it has the original carpets in, same make tyres all round, spare not used, stuff like that. As said 30,000 kilometres of gentle driving is better than 10,000 of hard driving.

yeah, but who measures them in km's anyway?