The Girl Who Never Ate - SKY

The story of Tia McCarthy, a seven-year-old girl with a rare disorder in which her oesophagus and stomach are unconnected. Despite corrective surgery, she has never eaten a morsel

Now far be it from me to be controversial, but as I watched this programme from my Sky+ box I came upon the following conclussion.

Its her MUMS fault that she still wont eat

So, why have I come to this conclussion.

Her mum mothers her to death, anyone watching this program will have seen the doctors at the austrian clinic they went to battling to try and stop the mum molly coddling the kid all the time, and also the final nail in the coffin for me- was the mums reluctance to finally pull out the tube thats been feeding Tia for the past seven years.. the doctors believed this would induce Tia to start eating, the mum still wouldnt have it.

So- the mum is at fault.

Through intense mollycoddling and also for the fact that I dont think she has done a proper job in bringing Tia up properly.

For starters- Tia didnt start walking properly until the age of 5.

She still wears nappies also but I guess this could be the result of liquid only food injected into her.

Another bold statement I'd like to make as well- and this is not a slur on single parents at all please understand but I found another reason that might be the case.

Being a single mum with 2 kids to look after- one has a problem, maybe the mum is getting a lot of benefits ie: disability for Tia, so she might not want her to be sorted properly, thats another thing that came to mind watching this program.

All in all - Tia is still not sorted, the tube is still inside her although smaller this time, Tia is still not eating solids albeit licking food- which is not a step forward for me.

What do other people think on this subject please?

I'm not sure you're still on line as you posted this thread ages ago. I just want to say how shocked i am by your ignorance. I have a child who is fed by tube. there are many people who do... due to heart defects etc etc. When a child is fed by tube they lose the sucking reflex, they can lose the whole ability and co-ordination of eating. it's a long battle. The fact that she didn't walk until she was 5 could have something to do with her history in hospital, causing developmental delay. I'm sure her mother has done everything she can, hence her going to austria. These issues are more complex than you realise, but i wouldn't expect an ignoramus like yourself to know that. You're probably one of those people on the street who STARES at a child who's just that little bit different. Contrary to your belief that 'licking food' is not a step forward, i'll have you know it's a MASSIVE step forward. Many children who are tube fed develop food aversions. why? they don't know what food is for, they don't know that it's meant to make them feel full or satisfy their hunger. if all they've ever known is the tube, why change? it's like someone turning around to you now and say 'right, you must insert this tube and eat through it'. would you like that? i don't think so. Tia's mother has fed her like that her whole life, of course she is going to be nervous and scared to suddenly stop. Wouldn't you? nope, you're probably super-mom. Actually i doubt you're a mother, no mother would make such a ridiculous statement, i'd like to hope anyway! I hope you never find yourself in tia's mom's situation.

Aw well said NixPixNix, I don't think you can ever put yourself in somebody else's shoes unless you've been in them before.

I hope your child is ok now...

hiya, well we're going to austria ourselves! in 2 weeks in fact. very exciting. my child is doing good though, thanks for asking. just thought i would put old ignoramus straight. if i was tia's mother, and i read that... well... I'd feel a tad upset.

hiya, well we're going to austria ourselves! in 2 weeks in fact. very exciting. my child is doing good though, thanks for asking. just thought i would put old ignoramus straight. if i was tia's mother, and i read that... well... I'd feel a tad upset.

Dont get wound up about angela, he tends to talk out of his arsehole.

Angelus being ignorant to other peoples feelings, I never thought I'd see the day that happened :hihi:

Seriously though nixpixnix, good luck with everything. Hope it all works out.

ooh i'm wound up alright. we have to deal with enough cr*p without having to deal with the likes of him. nevermind. I'm not going to be on here for long, i just joined so i could 'talk' to angela or whatever his name is.

Well well well, the mind boggles...actually with statements like the one you made insinuating that the mother is clinging on to "benefits" - do you know the meaning of the word? Did you consider how "beneficial" it might be for that mother to not have to lug around a 5 year old who can't walk? Did you consider how "beneficial" it might be for that mother not to have to sterilize feeding paraphernalia all day long until her hands were covered in eczema and to have the "benefits" of popping a few mouthfuls of food into her hungry child's mouth?

How can someone like you be allowed to breed? I am sickened and appauled by your armchair diagnosis - on what grounds are you making these statements? I am a mother of 2 beautiful and thankfully healthy little girls. I thank god for them every day, and then I come across attitudes like yours and I truely dispair about the world into which they have been born...

Now far be it from me to be controversial, but as I watched this programme from my Sky+ box I came upon the following conclussion.

Its her MUMS fault that she still wont eat

So, why have I come to this conclussion.

Her mum mothers her to death, anyone watching this program will have seen the doctors at the austrian clinic they went to battling to try and stop the mum molly coddling the kid all the time, and also the final nail in the coffin for me- was the mums reluctance to finally pull out the tube thats been feeding Tia for the past seven years.. the doctors believed this would induce Tia to start eating, the mum still wouldnt have it.

So- the mum is at fault.

Through intense mollycoddling and also for the fact that I dont think she has done a proper job in bringing Tia up properly.

For starters- Tia didnt start walking properly until the age of 5.

She still wears nappies also but I guess this could be the result of liquid only food injected into her.

Another bold statement I'd like to make as well- and this is not a slur on single parents at all please understand but I found another reason that might be the case.

Being a single mum with 2 kids to look after- one has a problem, maybe the mum is getting a lot of benefits ie: disability for Tia, so she might not want her to be sorted properly, thats another thing that came to mind watching this program.

All in all - Tia is still not sorted, the tube is still inside her although smaller this time, Tia is still not eating solids albeit licking food- which is not a step forward for me.

What do other people think on this subject please?

totally off topic but the thread title reminded me....i work in broomhill and i keep seeing this girl who must have just started uni. she walks up and down to the uni everyday and she is just so thin. i have never seen anyone so thin in all my life and she wears really baggy clothes obviously trying to cover herself up. i feel really sorry for her as she is always on her own and she just looks so ill. i mentioned it to a colleague as she walked past and he was also shocked. i really hope this girl has some friends or something.

totally off topic but the thread title reminded me....i work in broomhill and i keep seeing this girl who must have just started uni. she walks up and down to the uni everyday and she is just so thin. i have never seen anyone so thin in all my life and she wears really baggy clothes obviously trying to cover herself up. i feel really sorry for her as she is always on her own and she just looks so ill. i mentioned it to a colleague as she walked past and he was also shocked. i really hope this girl has some friends or something.

Maybe she's a supermodel?

And perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that her clothes once fitted, and it's an illness that's caused her weight loss? :mad:

And perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that her clothes once fitted, and it's an illness that's caused her weight loss? :mad:

I don't see why you are mad at her Strix? DaisyBoo was showing concern for the girl hoping she was alright and had friends to look after her, why does it matter if she considered that she was ill? Or have I missed the point entirely?