Company Car Mileage

I have been told that a company has to provide a car if you do over a certain amount of business miles but can't find any information about this, can anybody confirm or point me to some info please

Never heard of this, particularly as company cars attract personal tax!

Never heard of this either... I suppose the company will decide which is the cheapest option..whether to pay your expenses for "real" business mileage or to lease/buy a car..

I have been told that a company has to provide a car if you do over a certain amount of business miles but can't find any information about this, can anybody confirm or point me to some info please

No they don't.

Is that ok?

I saved a URL off a LinkedIn ad the other day that was about this. I'll post it here on Monday, once I'm back in the office.

---------- Post added 20-03-2017 at 08:58 ----------

Sorry Ducky, I couldn't find the link in my bookmarks, but I did find this searching Google. Hope it helps!

https://workmileagetaxrebate.co.uk/

Did you get any further with this? I'm in the same position signed a contract with occasional travel, doing over 10,000business miles which seems excessive without a company car or allowance.

Did you get any further with this? I'm in the same position signed a contract with occasional travel, doing over 10,000business miles which seems excessive without a company car or allowance.

Presumably you get recompensed for the mileage though.....I was always happy at 45p a mile, seemed quite profitable for motorway journeys. Having said that, I also got an additional £4K allowance for own car use.

Yes you should get either a company car or an allowance for using your own car.

If you were doing 10,000 miles a year, paying out of your own pocket and not getting anything back for it then that is quite wrong.

The employer does not have to give you a car nor pay anything towards your mileage allowance unless agreed within your contract.

However if they do not pay you anything and you run a private car , you should be able to claim up to 45 p per mile back from any tax paid to HMRC (up to 10,000 miles , reduces to 25 p per mile over 10,000)

It is called mileage allowance relief.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/business-mileage-fuel-costs