James Neill Tools Summerfield Street

My mum worked there in the 1940's[during the war]

I can remember Winston Churchill visiting and I seemed to be the only one in our neighbourhood that didn't go to see him[silly me]

I worked 'in the offices' from 1973 to 1984. And for the last 15 years have run one of the Neill companies based in Woodseats.

It is certainly a very different company today from when I started and changed radically after the acquisition of Spear and Jackson in the mid-80's.

There were ceratinly many family dynasties in my early days - I recall the Greatorexes, Wainwrights, Jessops. I was always told that this was encouraged by the owners.

The other aspect was the long service put in by many employees. There were plenty who only ever worked there. I recall two employees receiving 50-year service badges. Even today there are many who have put in 35+ years.

There was a history of the company published in 1989 to celebrate 100 years with anecdotes from long serving employees like Tommy Watkinson (toolroom), Edna Hatch (ETD), Ruth Jarman ('offices'), George Palfreyman (shipping), Joan Cross (warehouse).

I worked in Customer Services Department 1974/1978. Names I remember are Don Bates, Beatrice Nutton, Chris Barlow, Sally Lee. I remember quite a few others but can only remember their first names. Jack, Steve, Mary, Hilda Betty Oh and there was Eileen Howsden. So many years ago but great memories.

My mum used to work at Neils until around 1974 her name was Karen Senior (offices)

My mum used to work at Neils until around 1974 her name was Karen Senior (offices)

It was 1974 when I started working there. I'm afraid I can't remember your mum's name. I have just remembered Jack's surname. He was called Jack Mallet.

Keeleycam,

I remember your mother well. In fact, I worked with her. She was 'Miss James Neill' in 1974 (or thereabouts). Her sisters and mother also worked there.

Nettiej,

'Steve' may have been Steve Chaytors, 'Hilda' Hilda Eason and 'Betty' Betty Ledger. Others around at that time included Gerald Brown, Sue Brailey, Sharon Thorpe and Wendy Dawn.

yerman,

yes she was Miss James Neil, Ive told her about this site she's gonna have a proper read of it when i see her monday. her mom an sisters did work there as well. small world isnt it.

Keelycam

There was recently a thread about Neill's Nymphs ladies football team. Your mother was a member of that team. She could probably recall the names of other members.

cheers Yerman, i'll have a look for that.

Keeleycam,

I remember your mother well. In fact, I worked with her. She was 'Miss James Neill' in 1974 (or thereabouts). Her sisters and mother also worked there.

Nettiej,

'Steve' may have been Steve Chaytors, 'Hilda' Hilda Eason and 'Betty' Betty Ledger. Others around at that time included Gerald Brown, Sue Brailey, Sharon Thorpe and Wendy Dawn.

Great thanks:) I remember Gerald Brown he was the manager of Customer Services, and I remember Sue Brailey. I can see all their faces but cannot put names to them. I will have to get my wedding photographs out there is a group photo with all the girls on, maybe that will help me remember the names:thumbsup:

Hi

I've been reading through people's posts on this thread and found them great! I am doing a bit of a history project about the place I work which is on Bernard Road. It's now called the Megacentre but it was formerly owned by Spear & Jackson until they were taken over by James Neill in the mid-80's.

I am trying to find out any information about the history of the building, who worked there, when it was closed, how many people worked there, what they manufactured etc...

In particular I am wanting any photos of either the outside of the building or the inside with people at work. I want to post an industrial archive section on our website and would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Kindest regards

Hiya Chuffinell, my Dad worked at Neills for as long as I can remember as a surface grinder. His name was George Wass and he was good mates with Mr Ardron. I remember him talking about him having a daughter who was "reyt beautiful" and was gooin in fodem beauty contests. We lived on Summerfield St and I used to sit on the chip-shop step on the corner of Parliament St waiting for him to come home from work when I was a nipper. He retired in 1976 and died in Feb 1979, I still miss him. Questor.

The steve was steve Chaytors I left james neill in1980 and moved around quite a bit. eventually ended up at Mastercraft tools (Spiralux) and the company was bought by Neills. Still around have been holiday rep for last 5years currently working in Tenerife.Lots of names I remember with lots of memories

Keeleycam,

Nettiej,