Self administered pain relief

You won't be able to look at your notes but you can ask the staff at your appointment which drugs you were give to work out which one made you feel ill so you can avoid them in the future.

choogling could also use the quicker and easier route and ask his/her GP as they should have also received a record of what was given or can check with the hospital directly. Telling the GP is also a good idea so that this is recorded on their notes for future reference.

make sure they never give you Haldol if you are having morphine and have a bad heart or an electrolyte imbalance that's if you want to live.

choogling could also use the quicker and easier route and ask his/her GP as they should have also received a record of what was given or can check with the hospital directly. Telling the GP is also a good idea so that this is recorded on their notes for future reference.

The edischarge letter to the GP will not have details of every medication that has been given during the hospital admission and any adverse reactions may not routinely be documented in that discharge letter.

The best course would be for the OP to ask at the next hospital outpatients appointment when the hospital notes are in front of the doctor.

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 23:02 ----------

make sure they never give you Haldol if you are having morphine and have a bad heart or an electrolyte imbalance that's if you want to live.

Do you mean Haloperidol ?

Where did you get this information from ?

The edischarge letter to the GP will not have details of every medication that has been given during the hospital admission and any adverse reactions may not routinely be documented in that discharge letter.

The best course would be for the OP to ask at the next hospital outpatients appointment when the hospital notes are in front of the doctor.

Maybe so but it is still in his best interests to inform the doctor ASAP.

just had an operation at the northern general hospital, as part of the recovery I was put on self administered pain relief.

As a side effect of the drug I started to have hallucinations including insects crawling up an opposite wall, the implements on a drip stand sliding down but never actually moving and best or worst of all I was convinced I was living in a hippy commune and the nurses were other members of the sect.

The last time I had this sort of pain relief was over twenty years ago and it went without any problems has anyone else experienced problems with this treatment?

I vomited and hallucinated when I was given morphine for appendicitis, and it does all seem so very very real. I can still remember my hallucinations now and my sister in law told me that she could see in my face that I was having horrible experiences (on top of the appendicitis itself), so an operation following that I made sure I told the staff of my reaction to opiates and was given alternative pain relief and thankfully have never been through it again. I have every sympathy for you!

Maybe so but it is still in his best interests to inform the doctor ASAP.

Inform the doctor of what since the OP does not know what drug had an adverse effect.

The OP should ask the doctor at the hospital what drugs he was given post op to identify the possible drug which should be avoided in the future..

Inform the doctor of what since the OP does not know what drug had an adverse effect.

The OP should ask the doctor at the hospital what drugs he was given post op to identify the possible drug which should be avoided in the future..

In any case of a bad reaction to a drug whether administered by a hospital, GP or over the counter medicine the first port of call should always be your own GP as soon as possible as that is normally the quickest and safest route. In the case of a hospital administered drug, even if unknown by the patient, the GP should be told and they should then get in touch with the hospital and consultant in charge. That then is then recorded and put on a database of listed reactions to drugs and is also recorded on the GP's patient notes.

It is never a good idea to delay.

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 23:02 ----------

[/color]

Do you mean Haloperidol ?

Where did you get this information from ?

yes lots of information if you look for it about that drug. here's one there's many others http://www.btpnews.com/article/2007/12/04/Torsades-de-Pointes-with-Haloperidol

seems to be the go to drug for use as an anti sickness adjunct alongside morphine for palliative care patients amongst other things.

This is why I questioned the posters comment about never using Haloperidol and morphine together - the two drugs are often used together - particularly in symptom control.