Punk / metal bands from Sheff between 1986 - 1996

What about the mighty Autumn of North early 90's, we did ok around Yorkshire but had to back out of a gig at the Marque in London, I think that was the down fall.

not heard of those tbh, got any info, music?

Hi there! Just was googlin to find any stuff on my ol' band BMR and found this thread! Great to see people remembering the good ol' days of the sheffield music scene.

I'm so out of touch as I left the UK in '98.

As for memories of that golden past,

I first started gigging in Sheff around '92 with my brother Bryan in a band called BCF (Brotherhoods cosmic foes) a sort of hendrix/james brown meets Ozric Tentacles sorta band, we played the Hallamshire and the Hadfield and Devonshire green many times.

The Garden rooms was also a place I got involved with, some manic parties there with the likes of Pig 64, red eye reduction and Docter Uggs. M

y bro joining the various veggies in their latter days and me joining Blind Mole Rat for their final European tour and last gig in sheff before they split up. I followed Chris into Swamp circus and the ice cream men.

Was absolutly gutted I couldn't make it for the BMR reunion a couple of years back. couldn't get my passport renewed quick enough to fly back.

So many band names here ring bells,

Elfin - Supported them a few times

Freakspurt - wow all a remember is that crazy scottish dude and another geezer who wore a dress and a pair of safety googles doin a top gig on Devonshire green.

Durango 95 - think we played a battle of the bands with them in 92 or 93

Dylans/Happening men played in my Kitchen once!

The list is pretty endless so I won't bore

I did alot of work for the Hallamshire designing flyers and posters around that time and still got a folder full of old flyers.

Still keep in touch with some of them, but would love to hear from Chris, Kiri or Dan from BMR, and really really want a t-shirt from our last gig we did.It had a picture of a mole rat drinkin a pint of frothy beer and "adios amigo's" written underneath. I printed them all!

If anyone has one they don't want, I buy it, any condition!

Keep up the good work!

not heard of those tbh, got any info, music?

We were a Goth band, not too much make up tho'

Plenty of Gigs at The Owl (neepsend), Hallamshire, Jolly Buffer, Duchess of York(Leeds) even as far as thr Frog and Nightgown in Worksop.

Did three Demo tapes, had a fanzine, had a following and featured in Mick Mercers A to Z of Gothic Rock.

We got a few gigs down South but at that time things went a bit wrong and it all stoped, dont really know why.

Tim the keyboard Goth went on to play with Sins of the Flesh and plenty of others and is still playing many Goth festivals with his own band, Pretencoius Moi.

Anyway we were good, honest Guv.

:loopy:

just seen this post. I was the bass player in both Lilac Confusion and Human Prerogative! Man, that's a long time ago

just seen this post. I was the bass player in both Lilac Confusion and Human Prerogative! Man, that's a long time ago

this must be yours then? :P

and the covers

Edited by melthebell
  • Like 1

Anyone remeber a Sheffield band from the 80s called 57 Chevy?

I remember seeing them at the Locarno about 87/88. I'd gone with my GF whose friend's BF was in the band. Turned out I also knew Chris the drummer who was a friend of mine from school.

I don't remember much about the music, 'cept they did a couple of 50's numbers and Greased Lightnin' too.

At one point a teddy boy appeared on the empty dance floor to bop to one of the Rock'n'Roll numbers and fell flat on his arse.:hihi:

I was going to give more info, but I've just noticed your user name and suspect you were in the band;)

hello forum user , I was sad to hear of your brother in his accident , and always thought so. I knew your brother , a bit , the reason I am searching for this band , and news (songs) of them is I wished to hear a particular song , though thought only to have been released in holland I thought it might have surfaced , but so-far no joy. the song wrote by your brother was called '' the skateboard song ''

I am able to hum , fuzz it out , and have picked it out of the air on a guitar , the only remaining lyric I have is , of it , but ' eternaly happy in this world that we live in ' which comes somewhere in the midst of its tunefull rumble , I heard them play it at the Hallamshire , West st. , in an upstairs gig , marred by magnusses drum kit coming to bits and it being played from the top of a table , simons lary wacking of his bass spilling blood , great greatfull night , i'd be 14-15-16 when i bayed them all the interest of the world.

I kept flyers for years and will have a couple now , ! , my mum collected me from the house next to number 24 , took me to an airport and sent me away , she thought I was in trouble , though my grounds were fairly sound.

it is awkward i know , the people around me looked after me well , and i trusted in them all , the skateboard song was apparently wrote in anger/frustration about me , over dave's return from a bash in town where i was found , to have been looked after very well by the lady section of the house , i knew hardly anything about this , etc. when i got back to the squat there were folks shouting from windows telling me what i had done. ps. my virginity stayed with me three years on til i was 17 , i think.

dave was ****** at me , the flashy **** with a skateboard , coming and using up his time. one of the band members told me he had forgiven me , but some of it he meant was due to his writing of that jaunty song . . . . oh to be a musician.

i will keep it in my head .

Does anyone know if Mick Fidler is still with us?I had a strange dream about him last night, so that's why I want to know.

Mick passed away at the beginning of August 2012

sorry to hear that

rip Mick

I am so sorry to hear that. I worked with Mick a long long time ago, he really made me laugh.

RIP xxxx

the longpigs also supported U2 on a major stadium tour.

blammo became speedy and if i am right they appeared on the 1st national lottery show performing their 'almost' hit - boywonder

anyone remember a barnsley band called 'british racing green'? i used to see them regular in the late 90's. great band!

I was the drummer in British Racing Green !!!

Glad someone remembers us !!

I knew Nightrun, the lead singer was a mate of mine and lives around the corner from me, he did sing with Pete Willis.

What was his name? I'm trying to track down any information I can find on Nightrun, band members (I only know of Pete Willis, Richard Day and Pete Halliday; don't know who the bass player was), did the single come with a sleeve, etc. It's impossible to find much of anything about them online.