Punk / metal bands from Sheff between 1986 - 1996

Some of the names mentioned here brought back some memories!!

I've been blogging half the old bands from Sheffield over where I'm now living. Only wish I'd still got demos and stuff bands handed me.

Did anyone go to The Hallamshire when Graham The Hat and me put bands on upstairs, circa mid-90s? Trying to bulild up a list for guys over this way. We had a few who came just before they broke elsewhere, like Earthtone 9, plus a whole bunch of locals like Bendy Future, Bleeding Principle, Just Another Victim....... Anyone remember them playing 'Mustard'? A few seconds of madness!

Another thing...... Who remembers Improvision, Sundays @ Top Rank, 70s? Any memories, recollections of bands, photos if possible. A few of us are trying to get something togther recalling that great series of nights. Here's one to start you off. Hinckley's Heroes: loose foramtion of various players, including Poli Palmer, Boz Burrell, formed by Tim Hinckley. Remember Joe Cocker getting up to sing 'Georgia' then falling over as he left the stage. Pi**ed as a..... Typical Joe from those days. Magical night though.

Also.... Who remembers Jan Kaminski, the guy who always took photos at City Hall gigs? Does anyone know what happened to him? What happened to his photos?

Hi there. We are a new band called BONES PARKRIDER made up of members from Cosa Nostra (Boll - drum demolisher) Durango 95 (David - Guitar) Whitewash (Thom - Vocals) and Steve Hulme (Bass) from many bands Darkhorse/ Confusion Rains etc but also famous for his incarceration at Darnall Music Factory.

Anyway we have decided that we need to make a lot of noise again and are supporting Spear Of Destiny at the Top Rank.... sorry, Academy on 30th of this month.

We are on at 8pm if anyone should wish to venture out.

we are on my space.com/bonesparkrider

Hope some of you 86-96 veterans can make it.

David

I'm a young *******, *******! Since when was 58 years and 10 months classed as OLD? Ooops! Sorry for swearing!

Old is a state of mind-control invented by mere young pups. Mind you, most my age don't like DnB, Techno, or very Hard'n'Heavy styles of Metal, let alone DJ on Technic 1210s, Pioneer CDJs or software like Traktor Pro. I never stopped going to Raves, matey!

BTW, I've been known to make some crazy twisted dark-euphoric tunes.

I just got your book Tony, cheers. I'm well impressed after a look through it, you've done a great job.

It's already brought back many memories and a mix a sadness that those days are gone and joy at the memory of them.

I'll e-mail you when I've read the rest ( I've read half of it yesterday in the garden and all day today at work, quiet day),

cheers and thanks again,

Mark....

Hi,

I'm John and was the bass player in Bleeding Principle. Been thinking recently Sheffield could do with bit of a revival so Ben/Dave/Steve if you see this and fancy bit of a reformation for a bit of fun let me know. Good to catch up too!

John D

.....best add...bass player for a while!!

Hi - I have lots of photos of Blind Mole Rat (and Pig64). I was friends with Lisa Bayliss, the drummer. If you are interested, I'll post the link here.

Happy to connect with Dan or others if they would like copies, electronic of otherwise.

Maggs (mas@maspink.demon.co.uk)

...and I have just bought a negative scanner so I can get all the old stuff online. I know I have some Flexible Penguins pics in there and probably lots of others. Watch this space.

...and I have some old gig reviews I did for Sheffield City Press.

There is definitely a really really embarrassing one of Digvisdrill.... I'll scan em in too.

and... I have some old recordings of Flexible Penguins plus other local bands including Midnight Choir, Don Valley and the Rotherhides etc. from the 'Sheffield Calling' album.

Plus if I can find a way to copy from cassette tape (!!!) I have some old demo tapes of Pig 64, Hands Up For Batman and others too...