Disposal of used white spirit, oils and turpentine etc

Honestly... just chuck it down the sink if you haven't already. There's a lot worse goes down there from the hospitals and universities and the water authority just deal with it as they are contracted to.

No, you said put it in the bin - your words, not mine, and the bins are emptied out in landfill:
that's the solid bit, not the volatile bit, which isn't recyclable, so if it went to the recycling centre it'd still be landfilled anyway

in the bin it's got half a chance of being incinerated

Honestly... just chuck it down the sink if you haven't already. There's a lot worse goes down there from the hospitals and universities and the water authority just deal with it as they are contracted to.
oh right? - what evidence do you have for such slander?

According to Veolia website, Blackstock Road is the only Recycling Centre listed to accept paint.

That would be your best bet.

I'm pretty certain Beighton do too

that's the solid bit, not the volatile bit, which isn't recyclable, so if it went to the recycling centre it'd still be landfilled anyway

in the bin it's got half a chance of being incinerated

Ah - that'll do the ozone layer a whole lot of good, burning paint residue.

so how about telling us what you do with it instead of coming on here moaning?

oh right? - what evidence do you have for such slander?

Been there, seen it, done it.

I'm pretty certain Beighton do too

Water-based paints only.

My fault for not being specific .. I've corrected that post.

"There has been a change in legislation that dictates the method of disposal of paints.

Water based paints are still able to be disposed of with the general wastes and land filled, but all other paints are classified as hazardous waste and have to be disposed of accordingly.

Water based paints i.e. emulsions can be disposed of at all of the five Household Waste Recycling Centres and put in the general waste skips.

Any other paints must be taken to Blackstock Road Household Waste Recycling Centre and placed in the CHEM bank by a site operative."

thanks for everyones suggestions.I realise some aren't to be taken seriously although this was a serious question. I hate the idea of pouring them down the drain..not very green is it? However I only have small amounts of these substances.. so maybe Chem1st could tell me whether doing that would still be environmentally unfriendly? About 1/2 pint at a time, very occasionally, but I still get twitchy about it.

Ideally take it to Blackstock Rd, if not then burn it as it is basically a fuel and would be used as such anyhow.

Putting it down the drain should be avoided but if done you should dilute it, say with your bath water. But don't do that, its just if people are doing that, its better if they dilute it.

There are proper disposal site for these kinds of things, just like rubbish dumps. For some items you need a special license and record book. Just have a look in the yllow pages. Don't pour them down the drain.

How do I dispose of old turpentine, white spirit, engine oils etc.? People must do it all the time. All those noxious substances we use every day. Any ideas?

Call your Local Fire Dept, they should tell you what to do.

Well!! Thank you all! I do recycle the clearer spirit and reuse it but its the gunge at the bottom that is the problem. I will just save it up and take it with other stuff to Blackstock road.

I'll feel less guilty.

Ultramarine