Help wth a leaking patio, which is also a roof for the room below !

Here`s a curve ball. The house we`ve bought has a small workshop under the patio and the conservatory. The problem is the roof leaks in bad rain. I think what we need is a concrete screed putting over the patio tiles. But who would we get to do that ? It`s not really a roofing job (though it is technically a leaking roof), but how many builders could put a concrete screed down with a perfect "fall" for the water to run off ?

Its what you call a bodge job . Not worth spending a lot of money on . Prob could buy a big roll of visqueen and lay it on top letting it lap a foot over edges . Were it meets the wall you will have to turn it up wall 4 inches and cut a chase out 10 mm deep and feed polythene [ visqueen ] in, The whole job is a bad design and wants an architect / surveyor to have a look at it .You will have water ./ damp/ coming through walls sooner or later when it cant get through roof ./ :loopy::suspect:

Edited by spider1

I think concrete would just end up cracking. Shouldn't it be done with a fine tarmac type material. I have seen it on yards and roofs many times.

I know what your problem is and I have dealt it before. If you need some advice please call 07516308170. Graham

Its what you call a bodge job . Not worth spending a lot of money on . Prob could buy a big roll of visqueen and lay it on top letting it lap a foot over edges . Were it meets the wall you will have to turn it up wall 4 inches and cut a chase out 10 mm deep and feed polythene [ visqueen ] in, The whole job is a bad design and wants an architect / surveyor to have a look at it .You will have water ./ damp/ coming through walls sooner or later when it cant get through roof ./ :loopy::suspect:

Your obviously not up to date with modern flat roof coverings.

Shouldnt be too much of a job to fix.

Why do you feel the need to jump on every post and claim everything is a bodge job?

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 20:17 ----------

Here`s a curve ball. The house we`ve bought has a small workshop under the patio and the conservatory. The problem is the roof leaks in bad rain. I think what we need is a concrete screed putting over the patio tiles. But who would we get to do that ? It`s not really a roofing job (though it is technically a leaking roof), but how many builders could put a concrete screed down with a perfect "fall" for the water to run off ?

Would need to have a look but polyurethane covering may well be a good solution for you.

Your obviously not up to date with modern flat roof coverings.

Shouldnt be too much of a job to fix.

Why do you feel the need to jump on every post and claim everything is a bodge job?

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 20:17 ----------[/sI

Would need to have a look polyurethane covering may well be a good solution for you.

And you dont grasp the problem ./ Water will run of the roof run down and come through the walls . Sika rendering from the inside will not solve the problem no matter what they promise you . Only extensive work from the outside will sort this. Bad design from the outside by a bodger// Sorry i caught a nerve but its called experience to many bodgers on here :hihi: This is not only a roofing problem try and grasp it :hihi:

Edited by spider1

And you dont grasp the problem ./ Water will run of the roof run down and come through the walls . Sika rendering from the inside will not solve the problem no matter what they promise you . Only extensive work from the outside will sort this. Bad design from the outside by a bodger// Sorry i caught a nerve but its called experience to many bodgers on here :hihi: This is not only a roofing problem try and grasp it :hihi:

Have you seen the job or are you just guessing ?

Have you seen the job or are you just guessing ?

Small workshop under the patio get it :hihi: Jobs yours nobody else wants it and dont forget to give them written guarantee

Roofers -do roofs

joiners - do joinery work

Ground workers -do ground work / drains / concrete etc

Bricklayers - lay bricks

Bodgers = do all the lot and hundreds on forum

GOT IT - Stick to your trade what youre good at

If youre a small builder get the right trades in to help and do it right dont bodge

And if you get a prob you get advice from trades / Dont put a new roof on if walls are falling down:hihi::hihi::hihi: See a bricklayer he has more over all knowledge of any trade

Edited by spider1

Small workshop under the patio get it :hihi: Jobs yours nobody else wants it and dont forget to give them written guarantee

Roofers -do roofs

joiners - do joinery work

Ground workers -do ground work / drains / concrete etc

Bricklayers - lay bricks

Bodgers = do all the lot and hundreds on forum

GOT IT - Stick to your trade what youre good at

If youre a small builder get the right trades in to help and do it right dont bodge

And if you get a prob you get advice from trades / Dont put a new roof on if walls are falling down:hihi::hihi::hihi: See a bricklayer he has more over all knowledge of any trade

Good response. Been on the sherry again? :loopy:

I've been on here years, if I didn't know what I was doing i'm sure i'd have been found out by now.

Good response. Been on the sherry again? :loopy:

I've been on here years, if I didn't know what I was doing i'm sure i'd have been found out by now.

Actually no bricklayers builders dont drink sherry only beer. And i was working on building sites when you were still at school and forgot more than you will ever know. My best mate used to be a roofer before he just retired with his own firm so dont tell me about roofers yes a roofer not a builder he didnt get involved with building work as it was not his game . I used to knock about with all the Marley roof tilers and used west street pubs etc . Stick to what youre good at best advice i was given ./ And oh i dont like cheeky kids :hihi::hihi::

Would need to have a look but polyurethane covering may well be a good solution for you.

I have considered that, but would that look OK, bearing in mind it`s a patio ! And, would it put up with people not only walking on it but sitting on chairs on it ! ? ! There`s also one other slight complication, as if it isn`t complicated enough already..... There are (thick) glass panels in the floor, to let light through, ideally I`d like to keep those. Yes I know, I don`t want much do I !

The other chap is right in one way. There`s probably some water coming down through the walls too. Water will always find a way, unless it`s 100% excluded, preferably letting gravity do the work for you. He`s also right that it`s a multi skill job, mid way between a building job and a roofing job, that`s why it`s complicated. Having said that, I`m sure there are people about who could sort it.

I have considered that, but would that look OK, bearing in mind it`s a patio ! And, would it put up with people not only walking on it but sitting on chairs on it ! ? ! There`s also one other slight complication, as if it isn`t complicated enough already..... There are (thick) glass panels in the floor, to let light through, ideally I`d like to keep those. Yes I know, I don`t want much do I !

The other chap is right in one way. There`s probably some water coming down through the walls too. Water will always find a way, unless it`s 100% excluded, preferably letting gravity do the work for you. He`s also right that it`s a multi skill job, mid way between a building job and a roofing job, that`s why it`s complicated. Having said that, I`m sure there are people about who could sort it.

Could it be the glass panels that are leaking?