Businesses on London Road

About 5 years ago London Road I thought was thriving. I was walking along iit the other day and noticed its one backwards with quite a few restaurant sites shut down I counted five and i wasnt really looking. Is it going backwards, its it having a recession? I thought it was the thriving hip and trendy place to eat? Why is it finding it so tough at the moment?

ps I know restaurants close and open all the time, just wondered why so many had failed recently? If only it was connected to Town or the Uni, then it would do a roaring trade imo.

About 5 years ago London Road I thought was thriving. I was walking along iit the other day and noticed its one backwards with quite a few restaurant sites shut down I counted five and i wasnt really looking. Is it going backwards, its it having a recession? I thought it was the thriving hip and trendy place to eat? Why is it finding it so tough at the moment?

ps I know restaurants close and open all the time, just wondered why so many had failed recently? If only it was connected to Town or the Uni, then it would do a roaring trade imo.

I'll wager all those closed restaurants have recently had very very large business rate rises.

I don't think London road has ever been hip or trendy and for me the last time it was thriving was the late 80s early 90s when it was a good pub crawl ending with either a night in the Locarno or the china gardens or a kebab and and a taxi home

I'll wager all those closed restaurants have recently had very very large business rate rises.

Or a tax bill. ;)

I don't think London road has ever been hip or trendy and for me the last time it was thriving was the late 80s early 90s when it was a good pub crawl ending with either a night in the Locarno or the china gardens or a kebab and and a taxi home

I believe London Rd has potential.

Yeh look at abbeydale road further up..how that has changed in the past 4 or 5 years ..or so

Still Heeley bridge like attercliffe is more like a ghost town compared to what it used to be like

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 05:29 ----------

There's more restaurants on London Rd now than 5 years ago .. there used to be 2 Chinese takeaways for years wai Hong (still there) and red lion .. now there's loads

Edited by WestTinsley

The last time I went up London Rd, I said there was no way it could sustain that amount of restaurants, it was great that you could eat foods from every corner of the planet but as a business most were never going to survive. Once they start a "Specials" war, the writings on the wall.

I remember those days well,happy times.:)

I think business rates might have something to do with it. It definitely looked worse for wear. it wasnt unusual to see a restaurant close, but something would quickly take its place. I was just surprised to see such a large number of vacant units. Sheffield has always had such a strange shaped retail area.

We have had a business on London rd for 16 years and things have certainly got worse over the past 7 years . Too many student apartments has encouraged way too many eateries . They don't realise that students are not here for over 4 months of the year plus they don't have as much money to spend . The part time jobs they use to get have gone to the normal joe bloggs who have been made redundant . Parents can't help out financially as much as they use to as they are struggling themselves. The bottom line is too many places competing for too few customers . We have always welcomed competition but there has To be a cut off point ,different types of business would draw in a wider variety of customer .Yes I do blame the council as they have allowed this to happen .( sorry for any mistakes been up since 5am and I'm shattered )

Are business rates in London Road increasing? It was my understanding that the places with large business rate rises are in the South (where rents generally have risen the most) and in northern areas business rates were actually being cut?

I can't seem to find any definitive information about this with regards to Sheffield but I am sure somebody more knowledgable can enlighten me.

We have had a business on London rd for 16 years and things have certainly got worse over the past 7 years . Too many student apartments has encouraged way too many eateries . They don't realise that students are not here for over 4 months of the year plus they don't have as much money to spend . The part time jobs they use to get have gone to the normal joe bloggs who have been made redundant . Parents can't help out financially as much as they use to as they are struggling themselves. The bottom line is too many places competing for too few customers . We have always welcomed competition but there has To be a cut off point ,different types of business would draw in a wider variety of customer .Yes I do blame the council as they have allowed this to happen .( sorry for any mistakes been up since 5am and I'm shattered ��)

i cant see why the council are to blame if they refuse they are accused of not being business friendly if they allow it they are accused of ruining the area.

bottom line if you have a good business model and sell something people require you will survive if you dont then you will fail thats business/competition