Housing benefit? how does it get paid? to you or landlord?

Hi enquiring for a friend, she is due to be moving into a 3 bed house soon but she doesn't have a bank account. she is going to be claiming housing benefit but has been told she has to have it paid into a bank account? now i always thought that the housing benefit was paid straight to the landlord? ( its a private house btw) Just wanting to check this out as she is now getting worried she will not have anough time to open an account before she moves in. any advice would be great. Also if you have any contact numbers she could call regarding this would also be helpfull.

Hi enquiring for a friend, she is due to be moving into a 3 bed house soon but she doesn't have a bank account. she is going to be claiming housing benefit but has been told she has to have it paid into a bank account? now i always thought that the housing benefit was paid straight to the landlord? ( its a private house btw) Just wanting to check this out as she is now getting worried she will not have anough time to open an account before she moves in. any advice would be great. Also if you have any contact numbers she could call regarding this would also be helpfull.

:confused: the rule was at one time you can either have it paid into your own account and then you pay landlord or have it direct debt to your landlord, it may have change now though, personally I feel it would be better paid directly to landlord as having it paid into your own account, this to me is another fiddle of benefits hope that helps

and a happy neww 2009 to you

Mine used to come as a check to my landlady, that was a few years ago.

How it's paid

If you are a council tenant, your council will pay any Housing Benefit straight into your rent account.

If you're not a council tenant and not living in an area covered by the Local Housing Allowance, you can choose to have your Housing Benefit paid:

* directly to your landlord

* to you by cheque

* by Direct Payment into your bank or building society account

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

Thankue for replies she is going to speak to her new landlord today so hopefully will get sorted out. I have told her loads of times to get a bank account for such cases, but she never listens... lol

housing benefit only gets paid directly to a private landlord if there is a reason that you may not pay it, ie a drug or alcohol problem. otherwise it goes into yr bank account, but i would imagine if your friend spoke to the benefit service they would sort something out!

housing benefit only gets paid directly to a private landlord if there is a reason that you may not pay it, ie a drug or alcohol problem. otherwise it goes into yr bank account, but i would imagine if your friend spoke to the benefit service they would sort something out!

Sorry, but thats wrong, my housing benefit gets paid straight to my landlord because thats the way they prefer it, and im happy with that also, nothing to do with drugs etc.

Sorry, but thats wrong, my housing benefit gets paid straight to my landlord because thats the way they prefer it, and im happy with that also, nothing to do with drugs etc.

mine too, i prefer it to go to them rather then my bank, im bad with money

From the councils website:

How is Housing Benefit paid under the Local Housing Allowance scheme?

In most cases, the benefit will be paid directly to the claimant giving them a direct responsibility for making payments of rent to the landlord. The benefit will be paid into a bank or building society account, if one is available.

What about if I don't have a bank account?

If claimants don’t have access to a bank or building society account, we strongly advise contact with a local bank to arrange to open one. This way, customers will have a number of ways to access their Housing Benefit payment and can arrange to pay their rent to their landlord using a standing order, by cheque or cash, whichever is most appropriate

Claimants can get advice about opening and running a bank account from any bank or building society, an advice service, such as Citizens Advice Bureau or we can send information on how and where to open an account. Claimants may also be interested in saving via their local Credit Union, which offers a savings scheme and low cost loans.

Under the LHA rules, can Housing Benefit be paid directly to a landlord?

Not as a general rule. Under the LHA rules Housing Benefit is paid to the claimant, unless they are likely to have difficulty paying their rent; they are more than 8 weeks in arrears with their rent; or they are on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance and deductions from this benefit are being made to pay off rent arrears.

There are many reasons why someone might have difficultly in paying their rent, for example someone may have learning difficulties, be unable to read or speak English, be an un-discharged bankrupt, have severe debt problems, or have an addiction to drugs, alcohol or gambling. In circumstances like these we may be able to pay their benefit to their landlord. To help us establish whether or not it would be appropriate to pay to the landlord we have produced a Safeguard Policy. A copy of the policy can be viewed by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page.

If the claimant is worried about managing their money, we can give advice on who can help with this.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/benefits/local-housing-allowance

how can you not have a bank account? I've just moved and my new landlord prefers cash, i prefer standing order, so I'm setting a separate account purely for the rent. Its takes about 5-6 mins to apply for a Nat West account online and the papers are in the post for me to sign.

My friend has hers paid by a monthy check to her landlord , so i am told.

how can you not have a bank account? I've just moved and my new landlord prefers cash, i prefer standing order, so I'm setting a separate account purely for the rent. Its takes about 5-6 mins to apply for a Nat West account online and the papers are in the post for me to sign.

some people cant get them, it took me months and months to finally get mine after trying the first one that had refused me the last time.

I didnt have the right i.d for some,

bad credit history for many other, even though i wanted them to take my money not me lend it

its not as easy as you think, i was just lucky i got in on the 2nd try with yorkshire after many fails at all the others