Loxley Chapel and burial ground

I wonder why the private owners of this grave yard cannot be made to clear up the mess.

Went yesterday to visit our family grave & was absolutely disgusted with the state of the place. The undergrowth is so dense, we had no chance of locating it.

Does anyone know if there are any war graves at Loxley?

If there are the CWGC can be quite hot in writing to the owners to make the graves accessible.

Just a thought.

After making our way through the undergrowth we noticed one war grave which appeared to have been cared for.

Wonder if any more amongst the tall brambles & other growth?

I'd have thought there would have been. Surely someone will help sort this out!

I've emailed the guys already. Would be good if other people could too!

Have made enquiries today. Sheffield City Council have powers of enforcement & it is understood they have been involved with the site quite recently.

Since the public have access, I would have thought that the private owners have a duty of care particularly on Health & Safety grounds.

I contacted the council a year ago and they were less than helpful.

Let's put pressure on them ! Have contacted one of the Councillors asking what the current situation is.

Edited by gregnig
modified

Tell me who you've contacted and I will too. Send me a private message.

Does anyone know if there are any war graves at Loxley?

If there are the CWGC can be quite hot in writing to the owners to make the graves accessible.

Just a thought.

If there are any war graves, you can bet that they will have been tidied up already. However, the CWGC are not responsible for tidying up any civilian graves that may be nearby. A case in point is the old cemetery at Wisewood. The war grave/memorial is in immaculate condition, but the surrounding graves in the old part of the cemetery are so covered in brambles and nettles that it is like a forest. It is likely that the families of the deceased have now died or moved on, but that is no excuse for allowing the cemetery to deteriorate like that, especially as the church is still in use. Burial plots may indeed be privately owned, but surely as the cemetery itself is hallowed ground, it is the responsibility of the church to make sure that the land is kept reasonably clear.

Another old cemetery that is falling into neglect is the one on Rivelin Road. Part of it still accepts new burials and is reasonably well looked after, but the whole place is shabby and, quite frankly, depressing. There is a smaller cemetery next to the larger one - separated by a wall - I believe that one is also still accepting new graves, but it is a dingy place. When I compare both Rivelin and Wisewood cemeteries to the well-maintained Abbey Lane and City Road cemeteries, I feel ashamed. Whoever the owners are of these smaller cemeteries, I feel that when they buy such land, they have a duty of care to look after it properly.

If there are any war graves, you can bet that they will have been tidied up already. However, the CWGC are not responsible for tidying up any civilian graves that may be nearby. A case in point is the old cemetery at Wisewood. The war grave/memorial is in immaculate condition, but the surrounding graves in the old part of the cemetery are so covered in brambles and nettles that it is like a forest. It is likely that the families of the deceased have now died or moved on, but that is no excuse for allowing the cemetery to deteriorate like that, especially as the church is still in use. Burial plots may indeed be privately owned, but surely as the cemetery itself is hallowed ground, it is the responsibility of the church to make sure that the land is kept reasonably clear.

Another old cemetery that is falling into neglect is the one on Rivelin Road. Part of it still accepts new burials and is reasonably well looked after, but the whole place is shabby and, quite frankly, depressing. There is a smaller cemetery next to the larger one - separated by a wall - I believe that one is also still accepting new graves, but it is a dingy place. When I compare both Rivelin and Wisewood cemeteries to the well-maintained Abbey Lane and City Road cemeteries, I feel ashamed. Whoever the owners are of these smaller cemeteries, I feel that when they buy such land, they have a duty of care to look after it properly.

My personal view is that new owners don't have an incentive to look after them. I believe that if a graveyard is not added to for over 50 years then the land can look to be redeveloped. I'M tempted to be obstinate and ask to be buried there when the time comes ...