Building regs - Loft room

Hi Guys,

Just buying a house, anyone know what the regulations are for building bedrooms in the loft? Does it need a permanent staircase? If I were to go for it, then i'd lose one bedroom but gain a bigger one in the loft...Trying to work out my options!

Cheers for any help

Steve

If it is a habitable room such as a bedroom it will require a proper stair and building regulations approval.

Have a chat with the town hall.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've come across the loft issue twice in the last six months while buying. The following is my understanding after one near-miss and a sale.

The first house advertised the loft as an 'occassional room'. It did not have strengthened floors or a regulation size staircase, but it was being used and had been, as an office cum playroom. That's not illegal. But of course it did not have building regs, and it would have been very much our problem if something had gone wrong after we bought it. We would have been happy to go with that, but our surveyor noticed some things that caused him concern, and we decided then that in fact that could turn into a very big problem.

The second house (the one we bought) had a strengthened floor, etc, and the papers to prove that, but again lacked a regulation sized staircase. This time, however, the surveyor was happy that the structure was sound.

From what I could understand, there were no legal issues with either loft being used however you wanted, but in the way they were advertised/you could advertise them if you sold them later.

If they didn't get building regs, it could cause a resale headache later for you. You can apply for building regs in retrospect (they come out and inspect) or if you're not fussed about resale for whatever reason, you can go for an indemnity policy, but make absolutely sure you get a top range survey to ensure the work is sound.

Don't forget some Victorian terraces (like the one I'm about to sell) had loft rooms as part of the build, so don't need regs. I might be a bit dim, but that caused me some confusion when I turned it from a store room into a bedroom. They tend to have proper staircases, though (if a bit steep)

Just remember that every building regulation is somebody's epitaph - they are there for your safety not to aggravate you as you try to avoid complying.

Do it right. Stay safe. ;)

Just remember that every building regulation is somebody's epitaph - they are there for your safety not to aggravate you as you try to avoid complying.

Do it right. Stay safe. ;)

Quoted for the truth !

Also, as cosywolf states, a lot of Victorian houses have attics that were meant for light storage back in the day and are now used by many as bedrooms. Many of these have only 3" X 2" or 3" x 3" joists, so you wouldn't want to be dancin up there:o

you will also have to up size joist benson building and joinery 07936487156

Hi Guys,

Just buying a house, anyone know what the regulations are for building bedrooms in the loft? Does it need a permanent staircase? If I were to go for it, then i'd lose one bedroom but gain a bigger one in the loft...Trying to work out my options!

Cheers for any help

Steve

hi you can work around this / i`ve done loft rooms for people befor .... stair case moveable. but it all depends on things if you now what i mean give me a ring t helm property 07941678987

You cannot install a moveable stair to a bedroom for very good safety reasons. Your kids will only burn to death in a fire once.

hi you can work around this / i`ve done loft rooms for people befor .... stair case moveable. but it all depends on things if you now what i mean give me a ring t helm property 07941678987

Duly noted...T Helm Property...can 'work around' Building Regs. :rolleyes:

Duly noted...T Helm Property...can 'work around' Building Regs. :rolleyes:
I read it as you may not have to lose a bedroom to develop the loft. You can work round it, by moving the existing staircase.

I know this because I've seen it done and it doesn't add that much to the cost. I may be wrong in this case, but why do people on here always seem to plump for the worst interpretation of any comment?

I read it as you may not have to lose a bedroom to develop the loft. You can work round it, by moving the existing staircase.

I know this because I've seen it done and it doesn't add that much to the cost. I may be wrong in this case, but why do people on here always seem to plump for the worst interpretation of any comment?

Probably the 'but it all depends on things if you know what I mean' nudge nudge wink wink comment.

But I suppose you're right. If I have mis-interpreted the comments then I apologise and will correct my post.