Anyone have a cure for a squeaky/screechy car belt?

It just needs tightening takes 2-3 mins..common on some models

No mechanic will do it, because it's automatic - apparently, they're made to tighten themselves. Why it won't, I don't know :( I'm cool with changing it, but have no idea where to buy them.

It just needs tightening takes 2-3 mins..common on some models

No mechanic will do it, because it's automatic - apparently, they're made to tighten themselves. Why it won't, I don't know :( I'm cool with changing it, but have no idea where to buy them.

Dont see why it being an automatic makes a difference, should be a 5 minute job.

:huh: Hmmm... When I took it to a garage here in Sheffield, the mechanic took one look at it and said "It's an Automatic Tensioner and so it sets itself, duck" then whilst I was in Scotland, I drove into a gas station where they had mechanics on site - and that mechanic told me, "These models have an Automatic Tensioners, lass. They can't be tightened." So I'm getting a universal theme of "it can't be tighted" (that's how I learnt the term :hihi: ) because it should do so itself...

It seems I'm not the only one with this problem - looking through comments on the web, a lot of people are having trouble with the Peugeot 206. One wonders why they're so darn popular!

Dont see why it being an automatic makes a difference, should be a 5 minute job.

When was the last time it was changed? If it's the timing belt that's squeaking I'd be very concerned about spraying some petrol-based solvents on it all the time. If it fails you'll be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

If it was my car I'd get it changed and then if it squeaks after that let the garage deal with it.

:o Thanks Al, I am so not driving that thing again until it's fixed. Costs enough to run as it is... Why, Peugeot, why? :shakes::cry:

When was the last time it was changed? If it's the timing belt that's squeaking I'd be very concerned about spraying some petrol-based solvents on it all the time. If it fails you'll be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

If it was my car I'd get it changed and then if it squeaks after that let the garage deal with it.

Things seem to get more complicated with cars as the years roll by.

I've never heard of an automatic belt tensioner, in older cars it used to be a case of loosening the alternator and then pushing on it a bit before retightening. This usually cures a screeching fan belt.

If the fan belt actually fails all that will happen is your engine will over heat rapidly which means obviously don't drive the car if you notice the engine temp. suddenly going up. Girls wearing stockings come in useful at this point.

A new fan belt should take a minute or so to fit but that automatic tensioner doesn't sound very nice and probably turns a simple easy job into a pain.

Sounds more like bearing in the belt tightner they will keep squeaking untill replaced