How high can my neighbour build his fence?

Where abouts do you live? We are thinking down the sides not the front, just to have side fences?

I live in Killamarsh. As Jeffrey said,these properties have in writing they are not allowed to build fences or walls on the front or between the houses.

I don't know if its the deeds or in the leasehold,but my daughter was told the leaseholders do check and will enforce the legalities.

I live in Killamarsh. As Jeffrey said,these properties have in writing they are not allowed to build fences or walls on the front or between the houses.

I don't know if its the deeds or in the leasehold,but my daughter was told the leaseholders do check and will enforce the legalities.

We have freehold property and the neighbour next door has 6ft + high conifers down both sides of his

I don't know if its the deeds or in the leasehold,but my daughter was told the leaseholders** do check and will enforce the legalities.

** No, you mean 'the freeholders'. You are the leaseholders; you hold the lease.

** No, you mean 'the freeholders'. You are the leaseholders; you hold the lease.

Well you know what i meant:hihi:

i applied to council they told me if its 3 metres from a kerb its allowed 2 meters high

The height also depends on the respective ground levels of OP's property and the neighbour's.

I didn't know that, but when we had to replace a six foot fence between our garden and the one next door that is on the same level we had another 6ft high fence built. However, on the other side, the ground drops about 3 or 4 feet, so we replaced the existing 6ft one with one of around 4ft. Much more pleasant for those neighbours. And it cost us less ;)

Before we did anything, we spoke to the neighbours on both sides to let them know our intentions and to make sure they were fine with them. If the people with the lower garden had wanted a toweringly high fence again, we'd have obliged. Fortunately they preferred a lower one there too.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Get this checked out with your solicitor or try citizens advice bureau, but think you can erect a fence up to 7ft without planning permission.

No. These matters have been metricated.

See http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/fenceswallsgates/ where it authoritatively says this:

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

a. it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or

b. your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or

c. your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building; or

d. the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height. In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

No. These matters have been metricated.

See http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/fenceswallsgates/ where it authoritatively says this:

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

a. it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or

b. your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or

c. your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building; or

d. the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height. In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate.

When did we go metric? Damn, im going to have to buy a new tape measure :(

I understand that a joint fence ,wall ,is to be a restricted height, but, that the owner of one property may build a fence higher ,if it is inside the boundary fence and one their private land.