Does Vicks "First Defence" cold treatment work ?

I`m not sure about First Defence, when I seem to use it it does seem to prevent the cold getting really bad, but it seems to drag on for longer and/or give me other symptoms of a mild cold. I find the same with using Echinacea. Has anyone else found this ?

I used to get 3 or four colds a year. One in mid September, one sometime in November, one just before or over Christmas and one late January/early February. Occasionally I would get another in early spring. I put this down to working in a place full of snotty teenagers.

I've been using First Defence for the past three years and have not had a full blown cold since I started. I've had my usual early symptom of a wet, snotty, slightly sore feeling at the back of my soft palate but it has not developed into the sore throat & blocked nose nightmare since I started with the FD.

There may be a connection.

There's no cure for the common cold, if there was you wouldn't be able to move for companies trying to shove it down your throat.

The only treatment is the usual headache tablets, decongestants and caffeine.

I used to get 3 or four colds a year. One in mid September, one sometime in November, one just before or over Christmas and one late January/early February. Occasionally I would get another in early spring. I put this down to working in a place full of snotty teenagers.

I've been using First Defence for the past three years and have not had a full blown cold since I started. I've had my usual early symptom of a wet, snotty, slightly sore feeling at the back of my soft palate but it has not developed into the sore throat & blocked nose nightmare since I started with the FD.

There may be a connection.

That`s good news for cold sufferers. Did you find that you suffered from what I can only call a "dodgy nose" for a week or more each time you used the First Defence ?

In my experience, yes, if you use them as soon as you suspect you might be coming down with a cold.

Zinc tablets and orange juice are the best ways to combat the common cold.

That`s good news for cold sufferers. Did you find that you suffered from what I can only call a "dodgy nose" for a week or more each time you used the First Defence ?

Not for that long but there's a definite "wetness" for a while after snorting the stuff. More in the back of the tract than in the nose itself.

---------- Post added 25-01-2013 at 10:47 ----------

There's no cure for the common cold, if there was you wouldn't be able to move for companies trying to shove it down your throat.

First Defence isn't a cure for the common cold.

A friend of mine swears by "First Defence", he says if he ever goes out where anyone might have a cold he uses it when he gets home and hardly ever gets a cold now. I can`t really try that because we have a young son who gets colds regularly, thus we`d have to use First Defence almost every day !

However, there are times I really don`t want a cold, like when we go on holiday and I want to get loads of swimming done, so I then use First Defence every day for a week before and for the period of the holiday, it might have helped. But, I have found on more than one occasion doing this that I may no get a significant cold, but I then seem to suffer from cold like symptoms for quite some time afterwards, longer than the cold would have lasted ! Has anyone else found this ?

No concoction will prevent you from catching a cold.

Different attacks can vary in severity of symptoms.

Different people can respond differently to infections

Your own body can respond differently to attacks depending on your general health, fitness, immune system etc.

People's understanding of these facts vary so much that billions of pounds/dollars/yen are made from them.

Edited by cgksheff

but I then seem to suffer from cold like symptoms for quite some time afterwards, longer than the cold would have lasted ! Has anyone else found this ?

Your body probably doesn't like having all that crap blasted up your nose, leaving you feeling ill till it's all been removed.

A friend of mine swears by "First Defence", he says if he ever goes out where anyone might have a cold he uses it when he gets home and hardly ever gets a cold now. I can`t really try that because we have a young son who gets colds regularly, thus we`d have to use First Defence almost every day !

However, there are times I really don`t want a cold, like when we go on holiday and I want to get loads of swimming done, so I then use First Defence every day for a week before and for the period of the holiday, it might have helped. But, I have found on more than one occasion doing this that I may no get a significant cold, but I then seem to suffer from cold like symptoms for quite some time afterwards, longer than the cold would have lasted ! Has anyone else found this ?

Yes!! The 'cold like symptoms' are only a very mild sore/dry throat and slightly runny nose for a while if I use it. I will take that over a full blown cold developing any day though.

Paracetamol can be bought very cheaply - that and plenty of fluids and keeping warm are really the only treatment for cold.

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 11:53 ----------

Most cold cures will cure a cold in 7 days.

Alternatively, you can do nothing and it will be better in a week.

Excellent information :)

Edited by Daven