Iconic Sheffield "stores"

It's nice to know I'm not the only arcade fan (and I don't mind a spot of gaming.:hihi:) Here's a photo of the Union Street end of the late lamented Cambridge Arcade.

Can you remember the shops in the arcade before it closed? I think I remember a barbers(was it Johnny Fanthams?),a staitioners,maybe a haberdashery and I think the side windows of Suggs where as kids we used to stand and look longingly at the "casey" footballs and the shotguns!

Can only remember John Fantham having a hairdressers on Division Street and then a hardware shop at Crosspool

Can you remember the shops in the arcade before it closed? I think I remember a barbers(was it Johnny Fanthams?)....
Yes - Johnny Fantham had his barber shop there before he moved to Division Street. I also remember Ken Jones' double-fronted jeweller's shop. Here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory.

Yes - Johnny Fantham had his barber shop there before he moved to Division Street. I also remember Ken Jones' double-fronted jeweller's shop. Here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory.

Doesn't look as though my memory is very accurate!

Hi hilsboro

do you rember the El Mambo at the botom of the arcade,Ithink Brendon Elwood was the owner.

I think that must have been before my time. :hihi:.:hihi: But the name does seem to ring a bell. The "old" Nelson was just round the corner - I seem to recall a fatal stabbing there in 1968...

hillsboro it was the fifties and was a place where you wouldn't let your daughter go or even walk past.

To Jack Reacher: You're not thinking of Pippy's on Cambridge St are you? They started in the sixties with hippy clothes and I think finally gave up the ghost in the late eighties after getting into punk.

SheilaH, Hillsbro already came up with the answer. Bubble and Squeak was the shop in question.

It's not often that Hilsbro is wrong,and infact he's nearly right but I think the shop was called Southsea Bubble.

It's not often that Hilsbro is wrong,and infact he's nearly right but I think the shop was called Southsea Bubble.

Nope - definitely Bubble 'n' Squeak (at least, that's the early 1970s shop that jack reacher referred to, as per the Kelly's Directory link in Hillsbro's post #21). In fact think I still have a couple of shirts I bought there, as well as a pair of rather snazzy slacks, but I don't suppose they'd go well with my grey hair now…:(