Running car on cooking oil

Is it true you can run your diesel car on cooking oil ? A guy in pub was saying the diesel car he has run for ages on the stuff with no problems anyone ever tried this! :huh:

Is it true you can run your diesel car on cooking oil ? A guy in pub was saying the diesel car he has run for ages on the stuff with no problems anyone ever tried this! :huh:

Rudolph Diesel designed the engine to run on peanut oil.

You can run a diesel on practically any combustible agent.

They can even run on coal dust if tuned for it.

bet it smells like a chip shop :D:D

He`s right , you can .

The reason we use petroleum based fuels today is because of the influence of men like Rockefeller in the early days. They discovered its potential as far more powerful than vegetable oils.

If you read the history it is fascinating.

If it's a recent common rail - forget it, you'll destroy the fuel pump.

Old school diesels, especially those with Bosch fuel pumps are usually fine with it. Plenty of info on Diesel Bob's website IIRC

Yep most things post 2000 will get ruined by veg oil, some can run biodiesel, which you can either make yourself or buy in.

More modern common-rail engines can be quite picky and only run well on Diesel.

bet it smells like a chip shop :D:D

Yea it stinks, I ran my old 306 on veg oil for several years.

Yep most things post 2000 will get ruined by veg oil, some can run biodiesel, which you can either make yourself or buy in.

More modern common-rail engines can be quite picky and only run well on Diesel.

Yea it stinks, I ran my old 306 on veg oil for several years.

I was not suggesting that some one tries to run an engine on anything other than road fuel.

Please do not even attempt to do so.

I was only commenting on the theoretical design of a diesel engine. :)

I ran a Range Rover on biodiesel for over 40,000 mls before i sold it to a guy that put nearly 70,000 miles before he sold it to another bio user who still has it!

Over 250,000 miles on it and still going strong!

Most common rail diesels using a Bosch pump will be fine on bio unless the weather gets a it nippy in which ase mix a bit of normal diesel in to thin it down a bit.

Anything with a DPF filter may have problems as bio doesn't burn hot enough to regenerate correctly.

If you really want to run veg oil look anything with a BMW M51 engine in it.

Range rover P38, BMW 5 series or Vauxhall Omega.

A lot of older pugs are good on it too!

Don't forget you CAN NOT get old used oil and slap it in the tank...it MUST be filtered and de-watered before use.

He`s right , you can .

yep i used to do it 60 desil 40 oil, but the price of cooking oil seems to rises withe price of desil

Mine's got the older 1.9 DTi VW engine and run it on 40% supermarket veg oil. It coughs sometimes on starting when the temp is around freezing, but can increase the ratio in the warmer weather. On a long run when the engine is warm, I can use 100%. Veg oil has increased in price recently probably due to the pound falling. My old Astra Mk 3 also ran on it.

I was not suggesting that some one tries to run an engine on anything other than road fuel.

Please do not even attempt to do so.

Why not, it's perfectly legal if you follow the law and choose an appropriate engine for the task.

Rudolph Diesel designed the engine to run on peanut oil.

This is also false

Edited by geared