Vidalta for hyperthyroid cat. Vet says we have to change

if you're unhappy with how your vets do business - change

We're now with peak at woodseats, which is a heck of a drive away, but I'm very confident that these guys are in business because they love animals

HIGHLY recomended

With regards to the attitude of vets towards clients asking for prescriptions, it would be highly unprofessional if they treated you any different in that respect. It is the owners right to ask for a prescription, but not to ask that it be given for free. Obviously any business is going to be disappointed if turnover (and profit) is taken elsewhere, and vets do lose out when they are unable to supply long term medications as cheap as others. It is a big part of the turnover for a practice. They also recognise that it is a free-market where the supply of veterinary drugs is concerned, and people are entitled to shop around. I certainly don't penalise my clients for it, and would have a very low opinion of any colleague that did. I shop around for stuff all the time, be it CDs, DVDs, household goods etc... Being a vet doesn't give any right to be excluded from that process.

Many thanks everyone for constructive feedback. I am going to ring my vet tonight and ask them about the prescription and will advise reaction!:)

In the meantime my little girl bless her has now clocked on that 7pm is tablet time - or in her mind - treat time. We have moved on from Primula, to it being wrapped up in a piece of Bernard Matthews roast turkey, down in one - SUCCESS!! Didn't fancy years of crushing, chucking etc.

Someone sent me an email funny last week which was HILARIOUS - ran to two pages - entitled "How to give a tablet to a cat". At the end it said "how to give a tablet to a dog".

(1) Wrap tablet in ham. (2) Give to dog.

Tee hee. Appears my girl is more like a dog!!:hihi:

I have 'cracked' the getting Vidalta or any other small tablets into a reluctant elderlycat problem!! my cat will refuse any food with even minute traces of crushed tablets, so either smear them in marmite and the cat will lick it off your fingers, or actually 'stick' them to one of the many 'treats' avaliable with marmite and my cat just hoovers them off the floor! I had grave doubts when helpful vet said "Just give her one daily" my cat is a savage beast having had several owners, my hands are valuable and I didn't want them lacerating when trying to open a very reluctant mouth. Hope this helps regards.

Hi. My cat has just been diagnosed with hyperthyroid and prescribed Vidalta. I was dreading giving her the tablets as she hates being given medication and is expert at spitting tablets out. Tablets hidden in butter don't work for her either. A friend recommended putting the tablet into a knob of fishpaste. Worked wonderfully. I bought crab fishpaste today, its strong smell hides the smell of a tablet. She loved it. Just popped tablet into fishpaste to hide it, put it onto a saucer & fed it as a treat. No problem. Wish I'd known this years ago.

Dear pilates

Perhaps you're one of this world Marmite haters! The point of the 'treats and marmite is they can be prepared in quantity in advance as the Marmite 'dries' like glue in a couple of hours. They can then be stored for future use, and you don't end up smelling of crab paste for evermore, and waste pots of paste that will go 'off' before you use each jar. best of luck regards purplecow.

Marmite's really high in salt though- I wouldn't be happy giving a cat that high level of sodium day in day out.

My Merlin had to have 4 pills a day and only ate dried food so we had no choice but to hold her down and give her the pills.

The first couple of weeks was hard, but after that she got used to it and got used to feeling better and it then became a standard mealtime thing. We put out a tiny bit of yogurt or a bit of pilchard as a treat when she'd had her pills and she sat down and let us pop the pills down her throat. I was worried about what the struggle would do to her heart (since that's what the pills were for anyway) but within weeks we'd got a healthy girl and she was fine with the pills twice a day.

She took her pills dutifully for over 3 years before she popped her clogs (RIP Merlin, my cuddly bag of valium).

I am only talking a mear smear not a whoe jar!! (of Marmite) what is more important, a healthy cat or no tablets?? I had an elderly cat on Vidalta for 6 years, and he didn't suffer salt poisonsoning. Regards

Hi there,

My female cat has now been on 15mg of Vidalta since Nov 2008 - no problems. Then my male cat (her brother) had same problem and 3 months ago was diagnosed same tablet, same problem. Took them both back to vets for quarterly check up and they said BOTH of them had lost weight. Boy cat heart rate still high and he was still manic, so they increased dose to 2 x 10 mg tabs just for one month and then back for a check up.

We were surprised they had lost weight as both of them still troffing as usual, no issues over their food.

Anyway literally in last 10 days they have both gone on food strike. My cats are 17 years old so I know all about fussy cats and what they will and won't eat. However both now sticking their noses up at practically everything I put down, one sniff and its a no-no.

Getting very concerned. Side effect of Vidalta is that they both are sick quite a lot, at least once every couple of days.

Anybody experiences similar things? I had hoped once they were on the tabs that they would both stabilize. My female cat - no problems whatsoever until now.

Help anyone?

Many thanks

M

PS Purple Cow, although my cats take the tablets no problem when wrapped up in a little piece of wafer thin chicken, thats a great idea with the marmite, never heard of that idea of letting it dry etc - am gonna try that and see what happens, always helpful to have a standby.

yes I felt sure that somehow they would try and cover it by charging. Why on earth they should charge for spending 10 minutes filling in a piece of paper is beyond me, but hey - these are the people who are paid like solicitors, by the minute - or at least my vets are!! I will take a look at the pedmed website, thank you for replying so quickly, much appreciated.:)

As your Dr how much he charges for a private prescription?

Hi Berlingo,

The prescription thing was sorted out long ago, but in answer to your question my vet now charges me £5 for printing out a prescription - on to top of the normal fee every 3 months for a check up - which apparently by law they have to do - they can't just re-issue a prescription without seeing the animal - which I guess makes sense.