Heeley train station?

Does anyone know if there has ever been a train station at Heeley? My gandma seems to think there used to be one somewhere near where Pondsfords is now.

The building that the car breakers use is what was the booking office etc. If you walk under the bridge you come to some railings on your left behind these are the briked up subways giving access to the platforms

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s14710

Edited by bus man

Thanks!

It's a shame it's not still there.

Not enough people used it

the car brakers was never part of the station.the station entrywas in the part that is blocked up a bit further up just past the bridge.it was used alot by people in the area and was better than going into town.the buildings you are on about used to be the post office.but the building next to the post office i cant remember now for the life of me what used to be there.lol But both buildings did used to look alot cleaner and in a better state of repair.its a very BIG shame its not in use anymore.

Bus Man, MaggyIrene...

I'd (obviously mistakenly) assumed that the pic on the council site was looking out of the city and the station was the site that was Lavers since that was on land level(ish) with the rail line.

If you type "heeley railway station, sheffield" into Google Maps someone has put a marker close to the bridge which must be up in the air at bridge level. Is this right?

Was the station shown in the council map up in the air as well?

Where is the entrance that is blocked up?

I'm intrigued!!!!!

The station is clearly marked on A-Z maps of Sheffield which were on sale up to the early 90s. It's not marked as being open (obviously), but it's marked. If you've an old black and white A-Z, you'll be able to see it.

When I was but a callow youth living at Heeley, about 1956 /58 a gang of us used to go what was laughingly called Hiking every Sunday....

Rucksacks and big boots, down to Heeley station , train to Hope walk across the fields to Castleton then up Cavedale or Winnats pass to eat our sandwiches and chase the girls...,.....

some Magic memories.......especially of Totley tunnel....

Also remember the Teen bar being where the car breakers now are....

Edited by grinder

TO CLARIFY

In order to get this right

The Car Breakers

The building which they now use was until around the 1980's ish heeley post office this was built for the Midland Railway and was the main station building for heeley railway station until it became the post office. The land that the car breakers use would have been part of the the station /yard / exit area

LAVERS SITE

This was until the mid 1960s sidings, may have been part of heeley goods yard, I was born in 1960 and clearly remember wagons with timber on them for lavers wood yard - as it was then and possobly greshams wood yard which was on the site of what is now heeley reatail park

HEELEY RETAIL PARK

Was the site of heeley carriage sidings where the carriages for midland station were washed kept and repaired . Whne the carriage sidings shut mid 1960s the site was used by grehams for a timber yard before been developed to its current use

TESCO ABBEYDALE ROAD/ GUYLEEs- Archer Road

Occupy the site of millhouses shed shut 1961 this was the shed which provided locos for passanger trains from midland station . On the way down the bank to midland they would pick up the carriages from the carriage sidings

Hope this helps