New B&M and Hillsborough shopping

Went in today as I needed the post office, was absolutely red hot with no air circulating at all, had to leave due to this before having a look around unfortunately.

Sad that the Post office staff are being made redundant because B&M don't want them in there.

Aren't they being relocated somewhere else in Hillsborough?

I've been into B&M today, I'd only been in to the one near the markets before, and I have to say this one is much brighter! However, I only had a few moments to spare, and its so big, I didn't have time to look around properly.

I'm assuming it's the corner of Bradfield road and Penistone road?

Drove past earlier and saw a building site next to that pub that is there; that must be it.

I have lived in this area all my life, i love it here and im not saying it's a comlpete mess.... it just still needs a lot of work doing to some of the area's, i hate to see the boarded up houses and don't get me started on Winn Gardens! those flats are so depressing....

I wasn't commenting on the mess or not, I was saying that it isn't surrounded by council estates and people with low disposable income.

Demographic mark-up of our neighbours and us (random):

NHS accountant/University support staff, two young children

It consultant/Public sector HR manager, two young children

Dentist/Researcher

NHS Doctor/NHS Doctor

Widow with healthy double pension

Student house with 4 students

That is all within three houses distance from our own and we live near Hillsborough park, not exactly villa-land.

Not to mention the numerous University lecturers I know live in the area with their young families in rented two-up/two-downs.

Basically retailers are completely asleep on this area, they see a low average income for the whole postcode and decide to ignore it, but Hillsborough is full of young professionals due to the excellent tram links. Add to that the enormous catchment area it has anyway and it is a recipe for success.

Just look at the ASDA in Shiregreen (or wherever it is) it is completely packed to the roof at weekends and the Morrisons is still busy! Sainsbury's need to hurry with their development at Fletchers cause they are missing trade and I am sure M&S are missing out on huge opportunities as well, I don't know who is taking that corner plot by B&Q but it would be perfect for an M&S Food, I bet it would do better than the Ecclesall one.

Totally agree, pretty similar residents on our road as well .

Similar story on our road in the centre of Hillsborough - Doctors/Teachers/Managers, etc. There are obviously quite a few of us, and I think the point is that we're not being given the chance to spend our money locally on some of the things we like to buy, so we're forced further afield, which is both a shame and an inconvenience.

Yes, I'll be buying branded goods from B&M if they're cheaper than elsewhere, I'd be daft not to, but I'd also like the chance to buy some nicer bits and pieces that are only available from shops like M&S/Waitrose.

I'd personally love a small M&S and judging by comments both on and off this forum, there would be a decent level of custom for it. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone could think that you can get the same quality from B&M/HomeBargains/Heron/etc that you can from M&S.

Brings the area down - i'm boycotting it. Should have been a mini sainsburys/m&s

:(

Hillsborough has so much going for it - lovely park, transport links cannot be beaten, 10 minutes from the Peak District, really nice quiet roads. Just needs a decent secondary school, a real ale pub and to not keep lets crap stores like this open.

File next to Heron frozen foods :/

Agree - I'm giving these chavy poundland places a wide berth.

Lets hope someone notices the large aspirant middle-class population of Hillsborough and starts serving them, rather than the council estates in the surrounding areas like Southey.

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 18:15 ----------

What about all the young professionals moving into the area .Then there is the new Middlewood estate , Worral ,Wadsley ,Outibridge . To make improvements in an area someone has to take the first step .Rather than these people driving to the other side of town they would shop locally .Doing the people and the area a lot of good .

We now use the Coppice House Farm Shop on Rivelin Valley Road or Beeches in Walkley. :thumbsup:

Both are also, unusually for Sheffield, welcoming of our cars.

popped in this morning. really needs to fix the till area, only 4 small tills and the whole place is a bit of a shambles at the moment. Hopefully it's just teething problems that can be straightened out quite quickly.

it's a bit like asda mixed with poundland.

There are further tills near the lifts down to the car park.

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 19:10 ----------

Went in today as I needed the post office, was absolutely red hot with no air circulating at all, had to leave due to this before having a look around unfortunately.

Sad that the Post office staff are being made redundant because B&M don't want them in there.

Who's told you that?

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 19:12 ----------

I'd personally love a small M&S and judging by comments both on and off this forum, there would be a decent level of custom for it. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone could think that you can get the same quality from B&M/HomeBargains/Heron/etc that you can from M&S.

M&S would be looking for around 40,000 customer transactions per week as a minimum, I am sure they will have assed the area for opportunities.

The lady behind the post office counter. She's worked there well over ten years. Her words were that b&m don't want them there, theyre only there till March. Then it's shut down and theyre being made redundant. Unless b&m change their minds.

The lady behind the post office counter. She's worked there well over ten years. Her words were that b&m don't want them there, theyre only there till March. Then it's shut down and theyre being made redundant. Unless b&m change their minds.

she is wrong, anyone can buy a post office, and this one is advertised on the PO website. there is 8 months for someone to buy the business.

In my one & only visit to B&M in Heeley I think the following requirements are necessary to fit in with your fellow shoppers and not stand out from the crowd.

1. It helps to be massively overweight, better still if you're in motability scooter.

2.The more children you have the better. Practice shouting at them at the top of your voice at home, so when in the shop you don't strain your vocal chords.

3.Bingo wings are a must.

4.As are tattoos.

5.A visit to the clothes boutique at Lidl will help you blend in with the rest of the shoppers.

6. Don't shower for at least a week before your visit.

7. Discuss your new tattoo with all & sundry at the checkout.

8. Load your trolley with all the high fat, high sugar foodstuffs that it can take.

More to follow.

In my one & only visit to B&M in Heeley I think the following requirements are necessary to fit in with your fellow shoppers and not stand out from the crowd.

1. It helps to be massively overweight, better still if you're in motability scooter.

2.The more children you have the better. Practice shouting at them at the top of your voice at home, so when in the shop you don't strain your vocal chords.

3.Bingo wings are a must.

4.As are tattoos.

5.A visit to the clothes boutique at Lidl will help you blend in with the rest of the shoppers.

6. Don't shower for at least a week before your visit.

7. Discuss your new tattoo with all & sundry at the checkout.

8. Load your trolley with all the high fat, high sugar foodstuffs that it can take.

More to follow.

Well at least we'll all recognise you next time your in.

Went in today....totally disorientated....couldn't get my bearings (in relation to the old Co-op....and then just when I am feeling totally lost I come round a corner to see the Post Office. Odd or what! And it was stifling hot....they need aircon throughout the store.

Also noticed that the back stairs next to the Post Office have now been sealed off....emergency exit only. It might have been nice also if they had retained the loos....there is nothing up that end if you get caught short. :)

Looking forward to going there if I'm honest. Probably far more use to me than the Co-Op.