Roy Hodgson approached by FA.

I love the way the papers are trying to rewrite history regarding Hodgson and Redknapp.

1. Reaching the a UEFA Cup final is suddenly a worthless achievement because it's only the UEFA Cup? (Sorry - but it was Fulham, not Real Madrid).

2. No mentions of Harry's relegation and subsequent dumping of Southampton.

3. No mentions of the dubious parts Harry played in Portsmouth's financial meltdown. Maybe if so money had not left the club to go to agents on his say-so?

4. Hodgson's impressive record with Switzerland now apparenly counts for nothing. That's two consecutive qualifications for USA 94 and Euto 96, Switzerlands's first for decades.

Yep, the press are having a field day, which is quite sad. He isn't sir Alex or someone like that but he isn't steve mcclaren either (mind you he did rather well at twente since ;)). More measured pundits, including motty who I've just watched on the beeb has said the same thing - it wouldn't have made much difference. Hopefully hodgson can push the academy so future managers have better players to work with.

Good appointment I think, the media would have had England as favourites to win the Euro tournament had their choice (Harry Redknapp) been selected. I'm no fan of the FA but they have actually made a managerial choice in line with our prospects, now with more realistic media expectations it will take some pressure off our overated players !

I think FA have gone for a 'safe pair of hands' and Roy was only candidate for that.

In addition to not having cost them any compensation- contract at West Brom expires in June 2012.

Roy is a bit school masterly which some don't like- but he will at least put some much needed discipline in to the side.

As for who will take the reigns at West Brom- my money is on Chris Hughton.

I think FA have gone for a 'safe pair of hands' and Roy was only candidate for that.

In addition to not having cost them any compensation- contract at West Brom expires in June 2012.

Roy is a bit school masterly which some don't like- but he will at least put some much needed discipline in to the side.

As for who will take the reigns at West Brom- my money is on Chris Hughton.

What about gary megson going back.

Interesting article about the appointment here, which discusses Hodgson's tactical knowledge and his systems management approach compared to Redknapp who downplays the tactical side of the game to focus on his ability to motivate individuals.

Here's author's conclusions:

The point here is not that England have no chance of winning the tournament – it’s that they had no chance of winning the tournament by playing the anarchic football favoured by Redknapp. The type of football Hodgson offers is, in theory, the type of football that will maximise England’s chances.

The author sums up his conclusion by adding:

England must attempt to win the tournament; the chances are extremely slim, but have marginally increased with this appointment. England don’t have good enough players to be open and indulge individuals, and therefore Hodgson’s system-first approach makes sense

I must admit that this article has won me around to feeling a lot more positive about Hodgson's appointment. The two big questions for me now are, will England's players have enough respect to follow Hodgson's instructions, and if they don't will he have the strength to drop any play that he believes won't follow his instructions.

What about gary megson going back.

He may well be mentioned but I doubt would be in top 3, doesn't seem to be a long term objective given his record- although had his best spell at WBA.

hi i think they just saved the 8 million pound so not a bad thing with how things are at the moment . that what harry would of cost ta jeff

hi i think they just saved the 8 million pound so not a bad thing with how things are at the moment . that what harry would of cost ta jeff

That's a bit rich after chucking away £24m on a bloke who couldn't even speak English.

Dull apointment for me,Hodgsons done ok,but nothing special,understandabley,the public want an english manager,this panders to that demand.Hes a steady appointment.

Gus Hiddink would have been my own personal choice.

But.....i wish him well more in hope than expectation.

The english sporting press wont be very forgiving,as hes not thier choice either.

Dull apointment for me,Hodgsons done ok,but nothing special,understandabley,the public want an english manager,this panders to that demand.Hes a steady appointment.

Only two people have got Switzerland to the last 16 of the World Cup. One of them is Roy Hodgson, and he was also the first person to get them to qualify for the Euros.

On the other hand, Harry Redknapp has left financial turmoil behind at Bournemouth, West Ham and Portsmouth, and has won an FA Cup.

On the other hand, Harry Redknapp has left financial turmoil behind at Bournemouth, West Ham and Portsmouth, and has won an FA Cup.

But at least with the England job he'd be unable to splash loads of money on dodgy Hulio Moneybags type players and their spiv agents whilst eyeing the 10% bung he'd receive for selling them on.

Gor' blimey Guv'nor.