How high can my neighbour build his fence?

My neighbour has just erected something that looks like the Berlin wall! He said he was putting up a 6 foot fence but this towers above the roof of his shed and made out of concrete and timber looks a total eye sore. It is only a small garden to start with so I feel totally imprisoned. Isn't there regulations about the height of fences? We are in council property but my neighbour has bought his. I have searched on Google but can't find anything helpfull

My neighbour has just erected something that looks like the Berlin wall! He said he was putting up a 6 foot fence but this towers above the roof of his shed and made out of concrete and timber looks a total eye sore. It is only a small garden to start with so I feel totally imprisoned. Isn't there regulations about the height of fences? We are in council property but my neighbour has bought his. I have searched on Google but can't find anything helpfull

Im sure 2m is the maximum allowed before you need planning permission.

Correct. 2m+ would require planning permission.

2m is allowed but it's not always appropriate. I think when gardens are very narrow (eg in many terraced house back gardens) then this is too high as it leaves all or most of one garden in total shade. OK if it's your garden and you're not bothered about losing the light, maybe a bit thoughtless if it's your neighbours lawn/flowers/patio you are darkening.

Certain properties are subject to covenants too, so it could be that there is a stipulation for a fence no higher than e.g. 4ft, but you may need a solicitor to dig into this for you

if you have contents insurance, read the small print - you may have access to a free legal advice line

Correct. 2m+ would require planning permission.

2m is allowed but it's not always appropriate. I think when gardens are very narrow (eg in many terraced house back gardens) then this is too high as it leaves all or most of one garden in total shade. OK if it's your garden and you're not bothered about losing the light, maybe a bit thoughtless if it's your neighbours lawn/flowers/patio you are darkening.

The height also depends on the respective ground levels of OP's property and the neighbour's.

Certain properties are subject to covenants too, so it could be that there is a stipulation for a fence no higher than e.g. 4ft, but you may need a solicitor to dig into this for you.

Yes, or look at:

a. HMLR title entries; and/or

b. the lease [if OP's house is leasehold].

The height also depends on the respective ground levels of OP's property and the neighbour's.

This could have been an issue at my home,but my neighbours aren't bothered.

For my connected neighbour to have a six foot fence we had to use 12foot concrete posts and 2 foot of gravel boards when viewed from my garden(we then had trellis on top).

The next neighbour below us consequently has to look at a six foot fence built on top of a 5 foot high retaining wall,between properties.

Do you know if you are allowed to erect a fence on the front of your house in between houses?

Do you know if you are allowed to erect a fence on the front of your house in between houses?

Yes, subject to its height and to anything in title deeds that might restrict/prohibit it.

It depends,an estate close to mine have to keep all front gardens open plan(they are leasehold properties) we're a 100 yards away an nearly all of us have walls or fences(freehold).

It depends,an estate close to mine have to keep all front gardens open plan(they are leasehold properties) we're a 100 yards away an nearly all of us have walls or fences(freehold).

Where abouts do you live? We are thinking down the sides not the front, just to have side fences?